LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replicate a sub vi

I'm trying to create a local variable of a sub vi but it wont allow it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,616 Views)
You don't create a local variable of a subVI. In the rare cases where you actually need a local variable, you create one of a control or indicator. What are you really trying to do? Your topic and message say two different things.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,606 Views)

I'm not sure what you mean by "create a local variable of a sub-vi" could you clarify what you are trying to accomplish? Local variables are associated with front panel controls and indicators, with the containing vi.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,604 Views)

If you want to "replicate" a VI, you don't need a local variable.  Just drop another instance of the VI or wire the output wherever else you want it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,574 Views)

I'm a student doing an assignment and am just learning this. I have a sub vi which outputs a set of data to represent temp readings. This output has to be used in several different loops and sequence structures. I seen in another prog that some features can be replicated (local variable) instead of wiring everywhere. I thiught it could be done for a sub vi also. If i open another sub vi so I have 2 the same will they output the exact same data at the same time?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,562 Views)

That sounds like a use for a Global Variable.  But it would be a good idea for you to show some code and explain what your application is supposed to do.  We can likely get you there in a better way.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,557 Views)
Opening a separate instance of the subVI is certainly the wrong approach. Having multiple loops and any sort of sequence structure is almost certainly wrong as well. Need to see your code as already mentioned.
Message 7 of 7
(2,534 Views)