LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove the stacked sequence structure from LabVIEW.

Hi PatrickR,

To me it just seems like you improve your understanding of 

-multithreading

-state machine

-event or fifo

Because typically data collection is gonna be done in a thread which is a state machine (with a Stop state).

This thread communicate his data using event/FIFO

This thread receive commend using event/FIFO (Start, Stop, etc...) 

By doing that you allow not too::

- put most o fthis (at least the data collection loo)  of this at the top level.

- start using a alot of screen real esate

- can't update anything from the main VI until the subVI completes

Your main program is now fonctionnal during acquisition, you can update your HMI whenever you want even between every single points of your acquisition, your code is confinedwith a single loop in each VI/thread and ... you are not using sss !!

Hope it helps

0 Kudos
Message 101 of 195
(1,415 Views)

Hi PatrickR,

To me it just seems like you improve your understanding of 

-multithreading

-state machine

-event or fifo

Because typically data collection is gonna be done in a thread which is a state machine (with a Stop state).

This thread communicate his data using event/FIFO

This thread receive commend using event/FIFO (Start, Stop, etc...) 

By doing that you allow not too::

- put most o fthis (at least the data collection loo)  of this at the top level.

- start using a alot of screen real esate

- can't update anything from the main VI until the subVI completes

Your main program is now fonctionnal during acquisition, you can update your HMI whenever you want even between every single points of your acquisition, your code is confinedwith a single loop in each VI/thread and ... you are not using sss !!

Hope it helps

0 Kudos
Message 102 of 195
(1,415 Views)

It has become apparent that SSSphobia is rife amongst LV programmers.  As someone who has used LV since V4 and in all its guises since, I suggest that it's a case of horses-for-courses ... including sequence locals.  These are simply tools to use when appropriate, and as often happens a hammer can be used in many ways - not just for driving a nail into a plank of wood.  The is absolutely no need for NI to hide the tools so that I have to spend time finding them - I got enough to do with my time!

0 Kudos
Message 103 of 195
(1,396 Views)

@Stel wrote:

It has become apparent that SSSphobia is rife amongst LV programmers.  As someone who has used LV since V4 and in all its guises since, I suggest that it's a case of horses-for-courses ... including sequence locals.  These are simply tools to use when appropriate, and as often happens a hammer can be used in many ways - not just for driving a nail into a plank of wood.  The is absolutely no need for NI to hide the tools so that I have to spend time finding them - I got enough to do with my time!

No matter where they hide it, it's as easy to find with quick drop. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 104 of 195
(1,387 Views)

It's a holy war! Smiley Tongue

I just noticed in V2014 the SSS is gone from the palette and quick drop. You can still get one by right-clicking a SS and selecting "replace with stacked sequence". Seems like a reasonable compromise for everyone.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 105 of 195
(1,363 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

It's a holy war! Smiley Tongue

I just noticed in V2014 the SSS is gone from the palette and quick drop. You can still get one by right-clicking a SS and selecting "replace with stacked sequence". Seems like a reasonable compromise for everyone.

Not really a holy war.

I used to be in the camp of maintaining it on the Structures palette for reasons that have been debunked  especially see messages 242-256 

For those that want it back- see message 257 add it back if you miss it that much!  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 106 of 195
(1,342 Views)

@Stel wrote:

You're mistaking phobia for disdain.  We aren't afraid of it.  It's just more problematic than it is useful.  More often than not, this hammer is being used to force a screw into a plank of wood.

Message 107 of 195
(1,319 Views)

@natasftw : you're mistaking phobia for disdain.  We aren't afraid of it.  It's just more problematic than it is useful. 

More often than not, this hammer is being used to force a screw into a plank of wood.

Smiley Very Happy   applause.gif   +1

you make me laugh, but what you say is perfectly true!

0 Kudos
Message 108 of 195
(1,308 Views)

More often than not, this hammer is being used to force a screw into a plank of wood.

I'm all in favor of teaching folks how to use a screwdriver, but I just don't understand the talk of banning the hammer.

I called it "dogma" not because I disagreed with it, but because it is (often) presented without reasonable justification.  At least somebody here has presented reasons. 

I've had the discussion before, and I've heard all sorts of justifications, like "it hides code in other frames".  Well, that means we should ban the CASE structure, the EVENT structure, and subVIs altogether.

Part of the difference seems to be the amount of time some folks spend cleaning up other peoples' code.  I guess I'm lucky in that I don't do that much anymore.  I had a project where I was supposed to commercialize a customer's product that had horrible misuse of local variables.  I ended up telling them that I had to pitch out their work and start over, and in the end, everybody was glad I did.  It didn't occur to me to call for the ban of local variables.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 109 of 195
(1,297 Views)

I've asked you several times to tell me why you're so fond of the SSS.  You've been unable to do so.  Instead, you look at terrible arguments people make against the SSS and refute those.  I haven't made any of those arguments.  It's pointless to argue against them.  I know they're bad.  You know they're bad.  Why is it you're unable to provide a single case where the SSS is a better choice for you?

I wouldn't call the SSS a hammer, myself.  It's more like the torx screwdriver.  Sure, there are very few times when the torx screwdriver makes sense.  More often than not, you'd be better choosing a phillips screw instead of the trox screw.  Instead, the torx screw looks pretty so a large portion of people using it are using it poorly and creating more problems than they're solving by using the torx screw.

So, for is it the fourth time now, what is the use case you have that requires the SSS?  Can you point out flaws with the reasoning in the recent discussion rather than countering irrelevant points or is your entire objection only to the bad arguments made elsewhere?

0 Kudos
Message 110 of 195
(1,281 Views)