From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Desktop causing performance issues with GUI indicators

Recently, I've stumbled across some issues with remote desktop (RDP) and front panel GUI indicators no longer updating properly when you remotely login to a test station. 

I've experienced random failures that at the time I was unable to pinpoint the root cause of, but it appears when I remote into a desktop, it is highly likely that I can affect the performance of the code running on that machine.

Has anyone else ever experienced this type of behavior using RDP, and if so what did you do to solve it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,771 Views)

@ATE_Dude_22 wrote:

Has anyone else ever experienced this type of behavior using RDP, and if so what did you do to solve it?

Yes. Stopped using RDP.

Across the business, we have now banned RDP for test stations because of some of the implications it can have, including:

- If you RDP into a test station, at the test station itself all you see is 'this computer is in use' and can't see the status of the test station - meaning you can't shut it down if you see something has gone wrong

- It can cause the PC to lock up for up to 10 seconds on connect/disconnect - stopping anything from executing normally

- More generally, it has an impact on the performance of the application (e.g. slowing it down causing problems)

I wasn't aware of indicators not updating correctly...but that's another one to add to the list.

More specifically about how we solved the issue - we're putting in place a web-based remote interface to the test stations. A non-RDP-based remote desktop solution (e.g. GoToMyPC or whatever it's called) might also be less problematic.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 2 of 3
(2,763 Views)

I really just viewed some of my failures as one off type issue, maybe even OS glitches and/or driver issues, but now I can say with reasonable certainty that RDP is the culpritt of some of my issues.

I will pass along your suggestions to my team and see how we can move formward.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,756 Views)