LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reentrant Execution gets slower.... (DATABASE TOOLKIT)

Deepak,

a queue has the advantage that everything, which is written to it, comes out the very same order. So you may have delays in writing, but it is still the same order.....

And, no, i am not talking about cloning anything. You just obtain the same queue several times (in your example 100 or more times per PC) and write data to it (one per second per instance). A single reader (dequeue) will put that data into the DB.....

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 39
(1,411 Views)

@Norbert B wrote:

Deepak,

a queue has the advantage that everything, which is written to it, comes out the very same order. So you may have delays in writing, but it is still the same order.....

And, no, i am not talking about cloning anything. You just obtain the same queue several times (in your example 100 or more times per PC) and write data to it (one per second per instance). A single reader (dequeue) will put that data into the DB.....

hope this helps,

Norbert

His app is scattered across multple PC so a queue would only help in each machine.

If I understand correctly check image and don't trust me) the number of I/O per second are the same but the number of connections (1 PC vs 5 PCs) is different.

Unless there is something about that version of the DB and multiple connections...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 39
(1,407 Views)

Ben mentions a couple of good thoughts, take some timing on a single database query, and compare if you make a parameterized query.

If you only need to log once per second, but from 20 sources i'd still recommend to bunch those together to a single query instead of pushing 20 queries, it's possible the parameterized is fast enough. 

Keeping the database open is a good call, it'll go faster, but as mentioned above it still requires network time and waiting for result for each.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 23 of 39
(1,405 Views)

100 clones distributed on 5 machines works fine, and the machine load is low, so I guess it's neither the DB limit nor Database toolkit VI overhead limit.

Did you miss changing some subVIs of Database toolkit to be reentrant?

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 39
(1,359 Views)

If you will convert all DB Toolkit VI's to reentrant, it will through error. It ia calling ActiveX that doesnt support reentrancy. Also notice, if u run 100 clones on a single machine, you wont be able to insert 100/second into database...

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 39
(1,351 Views)

Yes, I am suffering from this error now.

When I change all the VIs to Reentrant execution- Share clones between instances, it works with 20 clones or 40 clones but when I run 60 clones, it returns error, very unstable.

The problem is that if some subVI is not reentrant, it might be the reason that slows down your application.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 39
(1,346 Views)

I write a lightweight Database insert VI. See the attached VI.

I manipulate ADO object directly in this VI, and it works. Hope it can help you.

I test it using SQL Server, the summary:

20 clones -> 1201 records per min

60 clones -> 3612 records per min

100 clones -> 6137 records per min

Download All
Message 27 of 39
(1,335 Views)

Hi Ktian,

We test the vi's you send. It works fine for 100 clone with only 2 columns(Fileds) in the table.

But when we tested it for 1000 clones with 52 columns in DB table, it was inserting approx. 8560 rows/min.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 39
(1,296 Views)

Is the database and your application in the same machine? Is the network good? Is the computer memory big enough? Is the CPU fast enough? Is you data too large? Can you please narrow it down?

I tested it in my computer, with SQL server, it wrote 58997 rows per min by 1000 clones, but I tested it with only two columns. How do you change the example VI to insert 52 columns, can you give me a snapshot of your VI?

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 39
(1,281 Views)

@D.S wrote:

We test the vi's you send. It works fine for 100 clone with only 2 columns(Fileds) in the table.

But when we tested it for 1000 clones with 52 columns in DB table, it was inserting approx. 8560 rows/min. 

52 column of floats, approx 10 chars/column and some SQL administration ~ 600 bytes

1000 clones => 600 000 bytes

8560 rows => 5,136 Gbytes = 51,36 GBit/min = 85,6Mbit/sec.

You're on a 100Mbit network?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 30 of 39
(1,275 Views)