From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced Order (Luenberger) Observer in Control Systems

Hello,

I am trying to implement a simulation of a control system (in state space formalism) in which one of the strategies is to estimate various states and build a Luenberger (reduced/minimum order) observer. First I should simulate the continuous time model, and then discretize it in order to implement later in real time module.

Although I have already done a full order observer using the Control, Design and Simulation Module, I have no idea how to build a reduced order observer.  Anyone could provide some ideas?

Best regards,

Javi.

LabVIEW Enthusiast
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,868 Views)

Are you wondering how to reduce the model order that is used in the observer ? Surely the observer is structured the same wether it uses a full order model or a reduced one.

If you wanting to reduce the model order automatically, without your intervention,then try searching for a command "minreal" - there may be others in the toolkit. But it depends upon what you want to achieve with your model reduction - eliminate near cancelling pole zeros, reduce to a certain order etc. I would always want to manually check that any model reduction method works - as it is easy to simplify a model and loose information that you really want to preserve and compare both the time and frequency responses of the reduced model with the original.

Consultant Control Engineer
www-isc-ltd.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,841 Views)

It is like I do not have all of the state variables fully accesible to meassure and feedback, and I have to estimate the ones that I cannot meassure with enough accuracy. Thus, in the theory, there is a way to construct a minimum order observer to estimate these variables and feedback them with the meassured ones.

I have checked the help of the Control, Design & Simulation manual and says something like you have to implement the usual observer structure (If I am understood that well) and state the variables you cannot access putting some zero value at their place in a diagonal matrix... but I am not totally sure about if that

is the correct way to do it.

Another way I am thinking is to construct the state space or the transfer function of the observer model and try to implement the block diagram that appears

in the theory part.

Also I am going to check the minreal command.

Thanks and best regards!

LabVIEW Enthusiast
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,836 Views)

This was an old question, but just wanted to know if anyone has attempt a valid approach. Regards.

LabVIEW Enthusiast
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,644 Views)