cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery of DAQ Assistant acquired data

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm currently dealing with a continuous data acquisition application using NI cDAQ-9174 and recording analogue input current signals from a integrated three-measurement probe.

I built a simple vi that uses DAQ Assistant to acquire data and write to a .txt output - rather than .tdms using Signal Express.  

During a 10day cycle of data acquisition the computer was erroneously turned off - leaving the .txt result file empty.  LabView recovered the VI that cut out and I am wondering if there may be some way I  can access the data that was being recorded by DAQ Assistant that may be saved in temporary files etc.

I have no idea where this might be, since you can't delve deeper down into the 'levels' of DAQ assistant as you would a sub-vi.

Just as a side note to excuse my stupidity - I realise that writing all data at the end of the task is foolish and completely avoidable......but I was working to a deadline.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Dan 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,569 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DanImperialCollege

The most likely answer is no, sadly. It sounds like you were building an array of data at every measurement point and then writing it at the end. In that case, unless you've explicitly saved the data to a temporary file, it just sits in volatile memory waiting for you to do something with it.

I realise this isn't what you want to hear, as it's about the time for third/fourth year project submission...

If you post your VI (preferably in LV2012 version or below), I can have a look to see if there's anything obvious.

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,549 Views)

Thanks for your message.  I suspected as much - I just wasn't sure if DAQ Assistant stored the data somewhere.  

I would like to recover the data but it is not too big a deal is it is unrecoverable - I am a PhD researcher and I have plenty of time left on my project.    I will just have to rejig the code for next time to write continuously, which will avoid such problems.... 

I found the folder location where LV presumably recovers data to, in the network drive equivalent of My Documents:  

\\icnas1.cc.ic.ac.uk\dg406\LabVIEW Data\LVAutoSave  

The two attachments are what I found at this location.  I built this all in LV 2013 - hope you can access it as I have no other recent versions of LV.....thanks very much for taking a look.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,541 Views)

Any data that being acquired during those 100 seconds of acquistion will be lost.  They just sit in memory.  Then the Write To Spreadsheet File will save the data to disk.  But if the code didn't make it to the Write to Spreadsheet File, the data is gone, never to be seen again.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,528 Views)