From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording frames on to HDD or SD card

Hi ,

Good Morning!!

I am working on vision application, where i need to record video frames on to Micro SD card or HDD and access via USB port. Please let me know how this can be achieved by providing any sample vi. Thanks in advance 

with best regards,

Sri

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,559 Views)

Hi SriSwathi

I have made a little VI that show you the basics of obtaining images and locating them to a path. Can you check it out and say if this works for you? If not specify your application and I will take another look at it.

Regards

Ruts

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,540 Views)

About specifying your application:

• How many frames would you like to store.
  • Do you want to create a new file for every frame or overwrite a existing file again?
  • When do you want to catch the frame? (When you hit a button, every x seconds, ... )
Message 3 of 6
(2,533 Views)

Hi,

Below are more details about my application:

1) I need to store 30fps for 5 minutes minimum, my frame size is 640X512 and per pixel depth is 16bits.

2)I need to store all these group of frames in a single file and need to overwrite everytime.

3) I need to catch these group of frames whenever i get a UART interrupt called record mode (button hit  upon requirement)

4) This file with frames should be stored in SD card and should be retrieved from USB port.

Hope this information gives you enough idea to help me out.

With regards,

Sri

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,516 Views)

I think I have got what you want SriSwathi

After expanding my former program some minutes I have come to the VI that is attached. I think this does what is has to do for your application. It still has some little beauty errors, but I think you are able to adjust them to your wishes.

beauty errors:

• You can adjust the captured frames per second by adjusting the constant of the wait (ms) block
  • The filenames are the numbers equal to the iteration you were in taking the frame
  • When you choose your path you can't pick a map as path, but only a file. Simple solution (create and) select a file in the map you want to use. If you selected the file remove the file name from the path and you will use the map instead. This little bug is probably easily fixed, but I ain't got the time for it right now. I will maybe look for it later.
  • If you run the first time the files will be created, if you run the program a second time you will overwrite the files. If you captured 100 images the first time and 50 the second time picture number 49-99 won't be deleted and will stay in the folder untouched, so be aware of that. Also on this I think there is a solution for this.
  • I have to assign a program to open the pictures for every single file

Does this answer all your questions? Otherwise shoot.

Kind regards

Ruts

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,511 Views)

Hi Ruts,

There is small change in my application as below

Below are more details about my changed application:

1) I need to store 30fps for 5 minutes minimum, my frame size is 640X480 and per pixel depth is 16bits.

2)I need to store all these group of frames in a Multiple files that is create new file everytime i run the vi (so that each time i run the vi i should not over write the file and create a new file with change in file name)

3) I need to catch these group of frames whenever i get a UART interrupt called record mode (button hit  upon requirement)

4) This file with frames should be stored in SD card and should be retrieved from USB port.

Please let me know particularly how point number 2 can be achieved.

With regards,

Sri

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,352 Views)