LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended procedure to install software so app builder can find it

I like to install any LV software and toolkits from my harddrive so the application builder can use it from there instead of having to find the CD every time I do a build. What's the recommended way to put the installer software on my harddrive and is there a preferred folder naming convention? Is it best to name the folder the same as the volume name of the CD?

It'd sure be nice if there was an option to create this harddrive image when the software is installed.

George
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,481 Views)
Hi GS,

There is no real rule on where to copy the files to your Hard drive; the directory is unimportant, as LabVIEW will look to wherever you installed the software from when making an installer (for DAQmx drivers, etc). You can simply drag the contents of the CD onto your hard drive and run the setup.exe from there.

I agree that this is a useful idea, as having to find your CDs each time can be annoying. I suggest that you submit this as a product suggestion, available at:

http://digital.ni.com/applications/psc.nsf/default?openform
-Sam F, DAQ Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,464 Views)

Hi George,

Actually, LabVIEW 8.1 already has this capability.  In 8.1, when it prompts you for the CD - there is an option to "Cache components from this distribution" (checked by default).  Everything needed to build that distribution is copied down to the hard drive, and you won't be prompted for the CD again (unless you choose a different set of products that haven't been "cached" yet).

Regards,
- WesW / NI

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,445 Views)

Thanks. I was saw that and was wondering what it meant exactly (couldn't find much documentation about it). I wasn't sure if those copied componemts only work for that distribution. I build a fair amount of executables for different apps. Will I have to have the CD the first time for each different app I build? What about modified builds of the same app? Ideally those copied components would go to a known location so that the installer builder would look there everytime you check a box in the additional installers tab.

George

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,438 Views)