LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real time gps tracking in Google Earth

Hi All!!

I am a new labview user, working on a project making a boat fully powered on solar energy. (www.frisiansolarchallenge.com)
The whole vehicle will be controllerd bij CompactRio & Labview PDA, and all the data will be send wireless to the team Car.
In the compactrio i am using the Gxxx combo module from Sea-gmbh in germany.
I already found some Google Earth examples in onther forums so i can control google earth with labview.
The Gxxx combo module provides GPS data (Longitude and Lattitude, Speed, world clock and some other data)
I tryed to find out how to get a real time gps from Labview into Google Earth so i can track the vehicle and draw a pad or something like that, but it din't succeed.
has anyone experience this before or can someone help me?

Greetz Folkert Attema
Tanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(6,389 Views)
What did you excatly try that didn't work?

@Solar01 wrote:
Hi All!!

I already found some Google Earth examples in onther forums so i can control google earth with labview.

What forum messages of what forums did you use?
Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,378 Views)
HI Andre.

i've seen this post http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=220852&query.id=1086#M220852

With this Vi i can control Google Earth with Labview, just getting the coordinates and google earth will do the rest.
I tried to get shared variables out of my GPS module (this also succeed) this shared variables i used to control Google Earh.
So my gps unit control's Google Earth.
This is funny but not usable.
So now i try to find a option to draw a path into google earth. Maybey it is possible to use .KML and write a .KML file and import that in GE, but i don't have enough expercience with that.
There is also a Realtime NMEA function in GE, but i don't no how to import my data into Google Earth from Labiew.

Greetz Folkert

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,374 Views)
You can either:

1. Simulate a Google Earth supported GPS device.
2. Dig into the Google Earth API and control some more of Google Earth.

The "http://www.sea-gmbh.com/pdf/cRIO_gxxx_daten_d.pdf" describes that the module can output NMEA, this could be used.

Hope it helps,
Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,364 Views)
Thank you.. i can get NMEA out of the module.
But don't know how to get it in GE.

Tank you for the API link!!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,361 Views)
The NMEA from the device can be used to simulate a supported device to GE. E.g. configuring a GPS device in GE on a COM port and send the NMEA data to that COM port, maybe you need two COM ports to do this.

Maybe it works maybe it doesn't because GE might requires some device specific data aswell.

Message Edited by andre.buurman@carya on 03-28-2008 11:41 AM
Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,356 Views)
i will try it.

But in future i have to get all my data from a fpt client, because my Crio becomes a wireless device. So i have to write a file or something like that.

Tanks a lot!

Greetz Folkert
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,349 Views)
Hi Andre

I found another file.
The google earth API also works with a NMEA, but before google can use NMEA it has to been converted to .KML.
This KML file can be imported by google.
Now i try to get my gps data in this Vi (see attachment)

Best Regards
Folkert

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,345 Views)
You are Dutch right? Other wise we would be helping the competition! Go
Netherlands!!

But seriously, I'll look into it later.

Wiebe Walstra.

carya.NL

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13