cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real Time Target

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

1) Can I do the calculation in the Host VI under RT target and only use the FPGA for reading input and writing on the output port?

2) Are there any issues of lack of resource or timing issues regarding to RT target?

3) If the answer of #2 is yes how can I simulate it before donlowding the program to the hardware?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,551 Views)

@loghmani wrote:

1) Can I do the calculation in the Host VI under RT target and only use the FPGA for reading input and writing on the output port?

2) Are there any issues of lack of resource or timing issues regarding to RT target?

3) If the answer of #2 is yes how can I simulate it before donlowding the program to the hardware?

1) Assuming you can do the calculations fast enough in the RT, absolutely

2) It really depends on your control rate.  If you need really fast rates, then you are best doing it in the FPGA.  But you will have to worry about FPGA resources (gate usage, mostly).  If you need control rates in the 100s of microseconds or miliseconds, I see no reason why the RT couldn't keep up.  Going any faster I would start to question how complicated your control algorithms are before saying which way would be better.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(2,539 Views)

Thank you.

You mean that for processing rates more than 10 kHz RT couldn't keep up?

My sample rating is 1 kHz and the program is a FXLMS control algorithm which must be done between two samples.. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,532 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author loghmani

@loghmani wrote:

Thank you.

You mean that for processing rates more than 10 kHz RT couldn't keep up?

My sample rating is 1 kHz and the program is a FXLMS control algorithm which must be done between two samples.. 

It depends on the complication of the algorithm (ie, how much calculations is needed).  Now that I'm looking at your other thead, I see no reason why the RT couldn't handle it.  And at 1kHz, even less worried.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,527 Views)

What about the issue of fulling the resources in RT? Is there any kind of such issues regarding to RT?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,516 Views)

RAM?  Harddrive space?  Maxing out your CPU?

GCentral
Message 6 of 6
(2,510 Views)