LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real-Time Module Labview 64 bit

I have installed labview 2009 64 bit version to my laptop. And, i want to instal the real-time modul to this labview, but i can not do this since it needs labview 32 bit installed. Is it possible for me to install real-time module to 64 bit labview? Please help me with this problem.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,782 Views)

You can have both Labview 32 and 64 on the same machine, as far as I know you need 32 for RT or FPGA or several toolkits like motion, very annoying.  I would like to know the workaround as well.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,778 Views)

I have labview 32 and 64 in my laptop, but i can use the Real-Time module only on 32 bit version. Is there any solution with this problem?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,768 Views)

Hello ABEKA,

Currently the NI Vision Module is the only module available for use in LabVIEW 64-bit. Any other modules and toolkits must be run using LabVIEW 32-bit (LabVIEW 64-Bit vs. 32-Bit Applications FAQ). More 64 bit modules/toolkits will be on the horizon, but currently there is no timeline.

Regards,

Deborah Y.

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 4 of 6
(6,737 Views)

I was wondering if LabVIEW RT 64 bit would be in the pipeline.

I would have an application with 256 channels at 2MHz for 10 seconds and would like to stream the data to memory.

The other question would be if there exista a PXIe chassis and controller that could handle this.

Thanks, Louis

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,461 Views)

The LabVIEW RT application will most likely always have to remain 32 bit for now. Most of the RT targets are to resource constrained to gain anything from moving them to a 64bit RT OS, in fact in trying to move them to 64 bit they would loose quite a bit of performance. For the Desktop and PXI RT systems, the problem is that they are based on Pharlap ETS and that is a pure 32 bit solution with no plans of ever moving to 64 bit anytime soon, AFAIK. And NI is not likely going to port that to 64 bit themselves, aside from the question if they could technically do so (not sure they have access to all of the source code) and legally (their license most likely does prevent them from changing the ETS software to run under different target systems than the one it was originally purchased for).

The only thing you can expect to come from NI in the near future is that the RT system also installs into 64 bit LabVIEW, and the actual cross compilation that happens already will simply target the 32 bit RT target. That however means that the RT application itself is still limited by the 32 bit constraints. Maybe there are some plans to add a 64 bit RT system to the mix for the high end PXI controller. What OS that would use is quite unclear. Pharlap ETS seems out of question for that, VxWorks is probably not a favorite solution at the moment and an Linux RT based system has its own legal and technical challenges.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,437 Views)