LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading the version number of the LabVIEW executable programmatically

In my application (.exe) I want to read the product version number (e.g. 1.0.9), which I entered in the application builder. (Installer Settings -> Properties). Is that possible with LabVIEW? The revision number of the VI doesn't help me much, because it is increased each time I save the VI.

Thanks for answers
Dave
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,704 Views)

hi there

the version number is not contained in the file information of the LV App. you can get the version number of other executables by right clicking and selecting the "Version" - tab. this tab is not shown with LAV Apps, so i think you can't get the version number with the windows API.

i usually show the version number on a splash screen of the app, so the version number is hard coded in the code. maybe you can get the version number from the registry, but i think you then need to know the product code of the app.

best regards
chris

Best regards
chris

CL(A)Dly bending G-Force with LabVIEW

famous last words: "oh my god, it is full of stars!"
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,685 Views)
Odd, if I right click on the exe file I built I have a ‘Version’ tab, which shows the version number I put into the app builder.  If that information isn’t being stored in the file, then where is Windows getting the information from?  Shouldn’t Labview be able to extract the information from the same place?
Doug Asselbergs
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,614 Views)
hi there

i just built an app with LabVIEW 7.1 Pro (built-in App-builder). still no version tab neither on the original exe nor the exe from the installer. what's your LabVIEW version/distribution?
Best regards
chris

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,604 Views)
I'm using Labview 8.0
Doug Asselbergs
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,585 Views)

oh, i see.... time to upgrade

Best regards
chris

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,577 Views)
When you upgrade, you still can’t check the version with LV8.0 but I found a workaround if you have the .net Framework installed. 

Doug
Doug Asselbergs
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,572 Views)