From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading objects from a binary file works but crashes LabVIEW on exit

Solved!
Go to solution

I've been hunting for the source of some crashes on LabVIEW exit and I was finally able to track it down to this. In my application I wrap measurements into objects that I stream into a binary file during the inspection. In another application I read the file again to browse and analyze the measurements. All this seems to work just fine except that the reading part causes LabVIEW to crash once I close the IDE. Built applications don't report any crashes but I am afraid if it might still cause some instability or unexpected behaviour.

The snippet below represents the writing and reading scheme I use and with which I am able to reproduce the problem every time. I attached the project for testing it.

write_read_binary_objects.png 

Parts from the internal warning report:

#OSName: Windows 8.1 Pro N 
#AppName: LabVIEW
#Version: 13.0f2 32-bit

DWarn 0xEFBFD9AB: Disposing OMUDClass definition [LinkIdentity "Class 1.lvclass" [ My Computer] even though 1014 inflated data instances still reference it. This will almost certainly cause a crash next time we operate on one of them.

Possible path leak, unable to purge elements of base #0

The full log is also attached.

Notes:

• Remember: the reading works without any problems, the crash after LabVIEW exit is what I'm concerned about
  • Seems to only happen with classes/objects—not the default LabVIEW Object, though
  • Prepending array size or different byte orders make no difference
  • The writing is time critical, the reading is not, in case you wish to suggest other options

Has anyone else run into this? Should I be concerned for the built applications or can this be simply ruled as an IDE problem?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,120 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author vekkuli
Right off, if you say you can read and write lv objects, try casting your object as a lv object before saving it. The lv object is the ultimate parent of all classes.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 4
(3,085 Views)

You know what? That actually made a difference. I tried this, as you suggested:

write_read_binary_objects_lv_object.png 

...and no crash. Great idea, thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,061 Views)

Small addition: it was enough to only Cast to More Specific Class after reading, i.o. write derived class and read LV Object data type.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,047 Views)