LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading multiple files simultaneously or in parallel

Yes, it is primarily due to the read png file vi in the std labview library according to the profile vis data.   I know this is an issue but am trying to just focus on the file IO issue because I actually have several different challenges with the File IO speed that I will need to resolve.   

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(787 Views)

Can you show your code? I just can believe it take 11 seconds to read 19 small png files...

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(780 Views)

It is due to the McAfee sw also slowing down the IO on my machine.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(770 Views)

Your code takes less than a 1/3 of a second to read 20 png of more than 500kb each. I have Trend micro Office Scan running on my computer.

Is you computer running with a Penthium 3?

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(761 Views)

It runs in about 0.80 seconds with 17 images of various sizes and located in two different directories.

Moving the Obtain Queue and Flush Queue outside the timing reduces the time by ~25% to about 0.60 s.

Removing the queue completely and taking an array of image data out of the timing structure reduces the time further to 0.43 s.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(734 Views)

I have a DELL M4500 laptop with an I7 Processor and 16G of RAM.  My machine has been thorugh the dell service center here and all the hardware and software loads test out good.  I have completeley reloaded Win 7 and Labview directly from the NI Website and the speed issue for reading files still exists. During all o f this, I have noticed a nuance in my company's win7 load in that the firewire port driver is not installed on this machine which results in a win7 failure during boot stating that device driver not installed.  The Win 7 event viewer is showing a NIPALK Warning which points to the VISA library.  So, I reinstalled Labview 2012 without the VISA drivers and this problem goes away in the Win 7 Event log.  However, the speed problem still exists but the menu navigation in labview is much faster and responsive.   . I then asked my coworker who installed my VI on another desktop machine that does not have a firewire port therefore not being short of a device driver installed with the same Win7 load and it worked as yours did, nice and fast.  It appears that when Labview is instlaled on a machine with a firewire port driver not installed it causes a speed issue at this point in time.  Any one have an idea if this could be the case?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(710 Views)

Hi id,

That is a particularly interesting issue.  Have you tried installing the Firewire driver on that computer?  There is also a possibility that if you do not need the firewire port, you can disable it through BIOS.  Since I do not have experience with your particular model of computer, I cannot offer a method to disable the firewire, but it's likely that it exists.  You can also try installing the driver for the firewire and disabling it while in Windows 7.  Let me know if any of this helps speed things up!  

| Zach J. | Systems Engineer, HIL and Test Cells | National Instruments |
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(688 Views)
Zach the win 7 load is handled by corporate IT and they disable firewire ports as part of their IT security to disable copying pc data. Any other ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(679 Views)