LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading in a DMX signal to control flame jets?

Hi All,

Here's what I'm trying to do: 

I have a DMX/USB converter cable that I want to read a DMX signal into Labview with. I need to parse out only one channel of the 512 (that needs to be specified by the user) to command a solenoid valve with, that will fire a flame jet. I am new-ish to LabVIEW and have never worked with DMX signals before. What would be the best way to go about doing this? I was thinking of counting the microsecond breaks in the signal to parse out the different channels, and then reading the values from there (fire should be a value of 255). Am I working along the right lines here or is there an easier way? Also, what is the maximum frequency that I can read in a signal at, i.e. will I even be able to distinguish microsecond breaks in the signal? 

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really at a loss on where to start with this one. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,278 Views)

Okay you won't be able to do this like this.

What hardware are you using?  You can't ask Windows to poll a USB port looking for high and low, that's what drivers and kernel are for.  Even if you could Windows is a software timed environment, non real-time.  Ever have your mouse just stop working for a few seconds?  What do you think your program will do?  Will it keep up the microsecond reading?  You need other hardware to do the heavy lifting for you.  Now if this DMX/USB converter does the heavy lifting and the manufacurer provides drivers then no problem.  But if they don't you will not be able to poll it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,274 Views)

Hi Hooovahh,

The hardware I'm using is the ultraDMX Micro from dmxking. The description of the device says that it has an "onboard Amtel microcontroller to ensure complete timing accuracy and no flickering effects no matter what your computer is doing. Device communication using FTDI virtual COM port (VCP) or direct (D2XX) drivers allows use of any mainstream OS." Is this what you were refering to?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,258 Views)
Oh I that case you are in luck. You can use the DLL provided using a call library node. You'll need documentation but I'm guessing it has some. Or you can talk to the device using the COM port using VISA. Again you'll need manufacturer documentation. Examples ship with LabVIEW showing each method.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,252 Views)