LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading/Writing TDMS files

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm  trying out TDMS files as a means of saving disk space for long tests. 

I struggling to find a clear tutorial on how to write multiple channels (but I think I got this one figured out), but more specifically, how to read multiple channels on a some kind of waveform graph. My searches have not yielded much.

Is there a better data format to use?

Rick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,155 Views)

Look in the Exampler Finder in LabVIEW (Help->Find Examples).  The two you will want to look for are "TDMS Write Events Data" and "TDMS Read Events Data".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(3,151 Views)

tdms forum post.png

So if I understand this correctly there needs to be a TDMS read function for each channel recorded?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,140 Views)

Hi Rick,

You might try the following webcast

Virtual NIDays 2015: Best Practices for Saving Measurement Data

at the following link

http://www.ni.com/webcast/3675/en/

--Russ

Message 4 of 6
(3,138 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Speaks

Speaks wrote:

So if I understand this correctly there needs to be a TDMS read function for each channel recorded?

No.  The first one is reading many channels.  In this case it is getting the waveform data from all the channels in the Measured Data group.  You could also supply an array of channel names if you wanted to be more specific.  But all of the channels from a single read must be of the same data type.  That is why the other two reads are seperate.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 6
(3,121 Views)

Thank you everyone, everything worked out, and I know how to do it now. The webcast was more of a showcase for DIAdem, I think, but that looks like a great tool for data analysis. I don't know if it would be better and cheaper to use items in the Data Finder toolkit.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,025 Views)