From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading RS232 input tutorial

Hello all,
Does anyone have good recommendations for an RS232 communication tutorial?  I'd like to write a VI that accepts readings from a scale with RS232 output, and is able to do various things with the data.
Thanks,
Joe
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(31,126 Views)
Hey Joe,
Here is a link to the NI Development Zone on Serial Instrument Control. There are also some well documented examples for serial communication in the LabView Example finder.

Basic Serial Tutorial:
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/2897

LabView Examples:
[In example finder] »Hardware Input and Output » Serial

Cheers,

-Marshall R
-Marshall R
Message 2 of 7
(31,110 Views)
Thanks Marshall, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Joe
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(31,102 Views)

dear friend,i am working on a project where i have a gwinstek GDM-396 multimeter to be conneted to an RS 232 port.
watever voltage is recorded from the multimeter should be trasmitted on a waveform chart in labview. i have written a labview program but i am always getting a 0 output.i have already set the parameters(parity,baud rate...) of the multimeter in the labview also. i am quite new to labview. help me please to get that output voltage in labview.
please find attached my program.i am using labview 7.0.
thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(19,043 Views)

dear friend,i am working on a project where i have a gwinstek GDM-396 multimeter to be conneted to an RS 232 port.
watever voltage is recorded from the multimeter should be trasmitted on a waveform chart in labview. i have written a labview program but i am always getting a 0 output.i have already set the parameters(parity,baud rate...) of the multimeter in the labview also. i am quite new to labview. help me please to get that output voltage in labview.
please find attached my program.i am using labview 7.0.
thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(19,042 Views)

You hijacked yet another thread and you did not post any code.

Did you look at the existing Instek drivers to see if they have anything in common with your model?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(19,032 Views)

The programming gude can be found under the downloads section. http://www.gwinstek.com/en/product/productdetail.aspx?pid=39&mid=80&id=204

Unless there's a driver for that specific model, I'm going to guess it's probably not going to work. You are just reading back the values of the 7 segment displays.

----------------------------------------
Using LabVIEW 2010
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(19,000 Views)