LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading Binary Data using TCP/IP

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me out. 

I am working on a project where I have to collect continuous binary data through ethernet using TCP/IP. I am not sure where to start. Can someone point me towards a right direction or some examples related to it. 

The way my project should work is I send a binary number to the host using TCP/IP and receive the data in response based on the binary number I send initially. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24
(5,144 Views)

Help -> Find examples -> Search -> TCP/IP. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 24
(5,133 Views)

I looked at it initially, but it doesn't have anything with binary data. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 24
(5,105 Views)

All data is binary. 

Please tell us more where you are stuck.

Do you mean that the inputs and outputs of the TCP/IP Write and Read are showing as string datatypes?  Strings are binary data also.  You just need to typecast whatever your datatype is to a string.  And then typecast it back again on the other side.  Just like the TCP/IP examples you looked at show.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 24
(5,100 Views)

I have a LabVIEW RT Project where I collected multi-channel (16-24) analog data at 1KHz.  I use Network Streams to "stream" these data (in packets of 50 samples at a time) from the Remote (PXI) Target to the Host PC (where they are promptly displayed and streamed to disk).  I have no difficulty "keeping up" -- I haven't tried "pushing it" to see how fast I can go, but I know I'm not "missing" any data points.

There's a good White Paper here.  There are also several Network Stream topics under LabVIEW Help.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24
(5,090 Views)

I am about to start looking at it. I will give it a shot. I just wanted a starting point as I have never dealt with TCP/IP with labview. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24
(5,078 Views)

thanks for the link.  I will have a look at it. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 24
(5,077 Views)

It's actually not too bad, particularly if you let LabVIEW do some of the hard work for you in managing the data (which is why I like Network Streams).

Something to think about is how you connect your PC and your Remote.  When I was first introduced to LabVIEW RT, it was with an older LabVIEW 7.0 routine where little thought was given to the "niceties" of IP addressing.  Now that I'm writing the code, I've made a few changes and some "new rules", which I'll pass along.

• Where possible, dedicate a second NIC in your PC to handling the connection to the Remote (don't try to do this over the same "wire" you use to browse the Web and authenticate to your network).
  • I recommend using a non-routable IP address.  I'm using 10-dot addresses, with PCs being 10.0.0.x, and Remote Targets being 10.0.1.x.
  • For a NIC-to-NIC connection, you need to "cross-over" the TCP/IP send/receive wires.  Rather than purchase a (cranky) CrossOver cable, buy an inexpensive 4-port switch and simply plug a "standard" Ethernet cable from both your PC and Target into it -- it will figure out the proper wiring itself.
  • You need to know at least one IP (either Host or Remote) to establish the TCP/IP connection.  I recommend you specify the Remote IP, as there is code you can run in your PC to "discover" reachable RT Systems.  This way, you can (in principle) have more than one PC connect to your Remote System (one at a time, of course) without changing any code, since the IP of the Host is never specified.

Bob Schor

Message 8 of 24
(5,073 Views)

I would also recommend you have a good look at the STM library put out by the AEs at NI.  You can download and install it via VI Package Manager.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 24
(5,063 Views)

>> I looked at it initially, but it doesn't have anything with binary data

Ttcp-ip vis are sending and receiving bytes, who cares - it is data. You have type cast, you have flatten to string.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 24
(5,050 Views)