LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read text in pdf files

Hi Doug,

Yeah we developed similar LabVIEW code, but I still might try some of these other applications that can read the PDF file directly.

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 32
(3,782 Views)

You may want to go through this here and check out especially the development libraries, if you really want to go the path of creating your own.

From a quick view at it I think promising candidates might be libharu, poppler and podofo. Poppler seems to fully support PDF forms but being GPL is likely not a possibility to use unless you want to distribute every LabVIEW application that makes use of it in full source. Even then I'm not sure GPL would allow to run it legally from an application created in LabVIEW since LabVIEW itself is not Open Source at all. XPDF being X Windows based probably would be a bad fit for most LabVIEW uses Smiley Wink but poppler is derived from it and may have superseded it in the meantime in terms of features.

These libraries are all shared libraries and might be harder to integrate into LabVIEW for someone not having experience with this. But PDFBox as ActiveX component seems to have been ruled out already as an option Smiley Very Happy

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 32
(3,776 Views)

I know this is really old but here are my 2 cents.  I was having .NET issues, where I could not get the assemby to link.

Workaround... use system exec to run the executable (ExtractText in the bin folder) and create a text file from it.  Then parse the text.... worked for me.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 32
(3,469 Views)

Hello Evan,

Can you please elaborate more on how you solve the pdf read text? A block diagram will do.

I was trying the PDFBox method but when linking the PDDocument, it reads "An error occurrend trying to load assembly" under Objects.

Thanks,

Morben

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 32
(3,407 Views)

This is the area of interest.  Basically in the extract PDF mentioned earlier there is an actual EXE rather than the .NET stuff.  So run that exectuable with the -html in the command and it will create a html file for you.  I then opened that HTML file and parsed it as I needed.

Untitled1.png

Message 15 of 32
(3,385 Views)

Evan thanks for the reply, it really helped!

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 32
(3,361 Views)

Hi everyone,

I saw an example about display HTML file on control "WebBrowser", but the Block Diagram was hid code. Someone could give me examples to display a html or pdf file on Front Panel, plesea. Im using LabVIEW 2009. 

Thanks you so much! 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 32
(3,329 Views)

Here's an example of how to display a PDF.  Path it out to your PDF and it will display in the front panel.  Attached VI and test.pdf files.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 32
(3,322 Views)

There are a ton of examples around that use the webbrowser ActveX control.

Check the shipping examples for "ActiveX" and there is a callback example for IE that uses it.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 32
(3,317 Views)

Hello Evan

I am trying read txt from a pdf using the explanation and block diagram you posted. However I saw error messages in my "standard error" indicator as opposed to seeing converted pdf-txt contents in my "standard output" indicator :(. Please could let me know what I may be doing wrong?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 32
(3,217 Views)