From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read from Spreadsheet File.vi reading from a specific row

hi everyone,

I am using Read from Spreasheet File.vi to read csv files.
I want to start reading the data from the 4th row everytime (there are useless headers in the first 3 rows). But the "start of read offset" lets me count characters instead of number of rows. My files have random number of characters before the 4th row so there is no way i can use this function.
Is there any other way to read everything starting from the 4th row?

Thanks all,

Tai
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(7,353 Views)
Hi BestPker,

I would suggest you read all the data first and then modify the "raw" data using the Array Subset VI from the array palette.

I have attached a very simple VI that will do what you want, as well as a spreadsheet of some random data.

Anthony Wong
University of Toronto
Chemistry Department
Download All
Message 2 of 12
(7,350 Views)
That certainly works. Thank you! Smiley WinkI still hope there are other ways.
Message 3 of 12
(7,345 Views)

Is there any way you guys can upload a picture of the vi

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(6,413 Views)

You need to ask more loudly.  Neither of those persons have logged into the Forums since 2007.

This is basically what you are being told in your thread.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(6,395 Views)

Yikes.  That's quite the zombie thread bump.

Really, what part of the advice would you benefit from seeing a picture?

They gave two steps:

1) read the entire file

2) get rid of what you don't need

The first results in an array.  The second can easily be handled with an array subset function.  What picture will help there?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(6,385 Views)

Figured out a way that would work for me,

Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(6,349 Views)

Does anyone know the name of the VIs they are using? I've got the same issue... I have a .csv and i want to start reading information at line 16.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,517 Views)

@Vik_K wrote:

Does anyone know the name of the VIs they are using? I've got the same issue... I have a .csv and i want to start reading information at line 16.

Read text file, Match Regular Expression, Spreadsheet String To Array, Transpose 2D Array.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,511 Views)

Thank you. "Unfortunately"/Fortunately I had just figured it out and hadn't gotten back to clarifying it here. I'd just like to point out to anyone that you can only use Match Regular Expression "R50" in the picture if you know what the Header ends with in this particular case. The individual was searching for R50, which is how their header terminates.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,508 Views)