From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reactive Power

HI i've got some problems while calculating reactive power... i post you what the IEEE 1459-2000 says.

I need to calculate the  Q that is  hooped of red.

I've post you also what the IEEE says about the Active power.
In that case i've converted the integration into a summation such as showed into the picture...
so i've done 1/(k*T) * summation of (v*i)

now how can i implement the reactive power?i'm in trouble with the double integral...

i've tried to do it as:

2*pigreco*f/(k*T)*summation of i * summation of v

but i don't think that it works because it is too much different from the reactive power calculated at F=50Hz such as Q=V*I*sin(fi) so there is something wrong...
in any case consider that v and i are synchronized.

Plz give me a  reply as soon as possible

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,549 Views)
Interesting question. If we believe that the equation 3.1.1 .3 is true in general

what it says is we can get the same result by integrating EITHER i*(dv/dt) OR v*(integral of i(t)). This only makes sense to me if I evaluate integral of i(t) as a function of time. So (with samples indexed by j) I think you want for the integral

sum over j of [v(j)*(sum of i(k) from k=0 to k=j)]

(where k is a dummy index)

Seems to me there ought to be limits on the integral of i, and for clarity this would normally be written with a dummy variable t'

Definitely try this out on test cases.

Message 2 of 10
(3,526 Views)
mmm i'ven't understood a lot...sorry Smiley Sad
can you show me how to do it into a VI in labVIEW?because you say that k and j are different...but i'm syncronizating the signal and i'm sure that k=j so they have same number of elements.
tnx Smiley Wink

Message Edited by martinmistere on 02-18-2007 04:05 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,524 Views)
This is what I was thinking...but in test cases it is approximately but not exactly right.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,511 Views)
i thank you for the VI but i see that you don't have multiply the value that exits from the sum for 2*pigreco*f/N
i've tried to do this but unfortunately it isn't correct because with my change i have had a reactive power of 20 while the reactive power of the fundamental (that i calculate as Vrms*Irms*sin(fi) as the IEEE says) is near to 0; with your VI i have had a reactive power of 8000 with a ractive power of the fundamental always near to 0.
This for me is strange because i have only 2 signals that are both sinusoidal one with amplitude 10V while the other 8V.
Can you give me some others advices?
Tnx a lot for all.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,498 Views)

Hi martinmis,

I think that the calculation of the double integral Q as made in 3.1.1.3 should not be considered in a numeric sense but into an analytical sense. In fact, if you consider the last term of the equation as you did, you can obviously see that the integration of i in dt over a period must give 0 as result. Try instead to consider the first term of the right member in which there is the integral of v in di: in so doing what you have to calculate is the integral of v multiplied for the derivative di.

Starting from that point, you know that Power factor (P) is 1  if voltage and current are in phase (teta [or fi as you called it]=0) while is 0 if the phase (teta) is 90 degrees. For the reactive power Q is the contrary. So the example you discuss on doesn't be good in this case because I expect to have Q=1 (without considering constant factor) because the sin and cos generated have a relative phase of 90 degrees.

So, what I suggest to do is to make a vi that multiply the current value of v for the derivative of i (difference between current value of i and previous one) and then make the summation of all the value v*(i2-i1) obtained in that manner. This should fix your problem.

carlo>   

Message 6 of 10
(3,462 Views)
mmm sorry probably i will be too demanding but i don't know how to use as good as possible the block of derivation.
Could you, if it is possible and if for you it is not  a problem, post a VI (or a photo) in which you show me how to implement the things that you have told me before?

In any case tnx a lot for your advice.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,451 Views)

Hi martinmis,

I post an example, I modify the VI posted by gvd. In this example I show you how to use shift register in order to do a derivative operation. If you take a look to the Block diagram, you will see that on the right side:

1. I leave unchanged gvd's calculation (for loop at the bottom).

2. I do calculation with i and v that are out of phase of 90 degrees i.e sin and cos (for loop in the middle) -> Q=1 as expected. You see that if you run the vi "sum" is equal to -pi=-3,14 that's should be right if you take into consideration the various normalization factors.

3. I do calculation with i and v that are in phase [teta=0] i.e sin and sin (uppermost for loop)-> Q=0 as expected. Note that if you increase the number of cicles that generate sin and cos functions in the left for loop of the vi Q-->0 faster.

Please, consider this example as a guideline, I let you to fix the various normalization constant.

I hope I've been of some help

carlo>

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,434 Views)
i have labview 8.0 can you convert it?or in any case can you make me a photo of the VI that i need to see?
tnx again
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,415 Views)

Hi martinmis,

here it is the VI saved for LV 8.0. I also include an image of the block diagram.

I hope this help you.

carlo>

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,400 Views)