LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-sale of developed applications

Greetings!

I was wondering what National Instrument's policy is on re-sale of applications developed using LabVIEW 7.0 Professional. My company would like to sell one of the program's we've created with our LabVIEW software, and a quick search on the NI site didn't reveal to me if there would be any legal complications with that.

Thanks!

-Joe
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,655 Views)
In the license agreement 370406D-01 October 2003 (http://www.ni.com/legal/license/), look at the section titled Application Deployment.
Many programs can be distributed royalty-free, but you (or your customer) must pay additional licensing fees if you use any of the products listed in the subsection titled Fees. Show the license agreement to your lawyer to make sure.
Message 2 of 7
(2,654 Views)
This was the subject of a lengthy discussion on the info-labview mail list starting around 11/5. Lot's of speculation with a bit of paranoia thrown in and at the end, some clarification from NI on the LV 7 license agreement as regards to distributing VISA based applications. The license agreement itself should be located in your LV7 folder and I would suggest that you have your comapany's lawyer review it and then contact NI directly.
Message 3 of 7
(2,653 Views)
Thanks, and I'm glad to find that license (I'll see if we can get the company lawyer to take a look at it).

However, as far as I could tell (not that I'm an expert), it didn't say anything one way or another about making money off of selling LabVIEW-developed applications. I could take that to mean that there is no problem with it, but I'm not that brave. 😉 Any thoughts about that specifically? Surely it come up before somewhere?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,653 Views)
jmorris;

I think the best person to ask is your local NI representative. My experience is that they are always very supportive and will give you good pointers. Probably, their first advice will be to join the NI Alliance.

Chances are, you will be fine. I am confident all the "paranoia" on the current LV 7 license issue will go away, specially when you learn that NI is listening.

It is always good to see what others already offer. (You can see what I have done by visiting www.visecurity.com) Good starting points are the Alliance Member Directory at NI.com, the LabVIEW Webring, SearchVIEW.net, OpenG, VI Market and the LabVIEW link page.

Regards;
Enrique
vargas@visecurity.com
www.vartortech.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,653 Views)
Lots of people make money from selling LabVIEW developed applications. The only question seems to be what licensing fees might be due to NI from those sales.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,653 Views)
Here is an update on the NI-VISA License Requirements.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,590 Views)