LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raspberry Pi to act as Host PC?

I am working with CompactRIO value setup and at the moment have a regular windows desctop connected to it.

Is it possible for me to replace my current host PC with something minimal as Raspberry Pi? I just need to be able to output information to the screen and have basic control.

I want to be able to attach it together with my CompactRIO and either access it through monitor when I don't have any network connection, or through VPN when I do.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,856 Views)

You could set up a network communications protocol between your cRIO and your Raspberry Pi/minimal PC using Network Streams or TCP/IP.  I don't think the Raspberry Pi will run LabVIEW code.  But another "minimalistic" PC might do the trick.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 10
(5,827 Views)

What if I compile my front-end LabVIEW program on my workstation PC (as executable).... Do you think I would be able to run it this way?

well. I guess it would not work since it will be different architecture...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,814 Views)

@armendzh wrote:

What if I compile my front-end LabVIEW program on my workstation PC (as executable).... Do you think I would be able to run it this way?

well. I guess it would not work since it will be different architecture...

Anything you compile for a PC will have to run on Windows.  That is why I don't think the Raspberry Pi will work for you here.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 10
(5,804 Views)

I do not know if it could help you or not
But I was see this link some month ago check it
maybe it could be helpful
https://www.tsxperts.com/labviewforraspberrypi/

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,796 Views)

Hello, LabVIEW is at the momment in Beta testing.

https://www.tsxperts.com/forums/forum/raspberrypiforlabviewforum/raspi-for-lv-beta-program/

Regards, Vlado

Message 6 of 10
(5,757 Views)

I know that there is a very minimial Windows 10 that can run on the Raspberry Pi. I just don't know if there is enough of the OS there to also run LabVIEW executables. I am certain that there is not enough of the OS for the development system. You can read about Windows on the Raspberry Pi here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/windows-10-for-iot/

and here:

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/iot

It will be interesting to see if someone from NI has any comment on this.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,654 Views)

I'm pretty sure the Windows 10 for IoT is actually an even more cut-down version of Windows 10 RT - which is not the same architecture/instruction set as normal Windows 10 and cannot run Windows 10 applications etc. It was a while since I read about it though so I might be wrong. I think you have to write .NET apps in VS for it.

(Also...if you're looking for a thin-client to your LabVIEW application - I've been using WebSockets to do just that using a browser which obviously works on the RasPi - check out the links in my signature)

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 8 of 10
(5,625 Views)

Not Rasberry pi but I have had some success with touchscreen computers running wes7 as the gui for CompactRIO and some other testers in general. They can be relatively cheap (~$1,100) and come in a variety of sizes. Boots up quickly, easy to maintain and recover, and in most cases, no IT support is needed (or wanted!) I run LabVIEW 2011 on them.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,579 Views)

@ErnieH wrote:

Not Rasberry pi but I have had some success with touchscreen computers running wes7 as the gui for CompactRIO and some other testers in general. They can be relatively cheap (~$1,100) and come in a variety of sizes. Boots up quickly, easy to maintain and recover, and in most cases, no IT support is needed (or wanted!) I run LabVIEW 2011 on them.

I'd love to find an application for one of these mini PCs running an x86 processor.  The two I've been looking at are the Intel Compute Stick, and the Kangaroo. Both have newer and older models but none have built in ethernet, only wifi.  But running a full Windows 10 means you can probably get any USB to ethernet device for a more reliable connection for a HMI for a cRIO.  Then any touch screen monitor, or bluetooth keyboard, mouse, game controller, heck even a wiimote to control the system.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,551 Views)