LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ramp and Soak Program for Omega Temperature Controller

I currently have an Omega CNiD3244-C24 temperature controller connected to my computer. I have downloaded the plug and play driver for a CNi3244 which after minor modifications works well; however, it does not have a ramp and soak program embedded into it. The controller has a ramp and soak program that can be manually enabled, and the communications manual gives you the read and write codes for that setting. I am not very good with building the read and write programs from scratch, and I was wondering if anyone else has developed a program for this setting or something relatively close that could be modified for my system. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,943 Views)

I have a few questions:

Are you trying to use LabVIEW to communicate with the temperature controller?

What type of communication does the controller expect?  Serial, GPIB?

Does the driver include LabVIEW VIs/function calls for developing your own code or is it dependent on the commands you are sending via NI-VISA?

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,904 Views)

Yes I am trying to use Labview to communicate with the controller, and I am using Serial. Also, the driver comes with VI/functions that can be used to write your own program. It comes with a prebuilt VI, an omega read and write VI, and a serial read VI. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,892 Views)

If you are trying to write a serial command in order to enable the ramp and soak feature you can likely use the VIs that were supplied by the driver or use the VISA examples built into LabVIEW.  This can be found in LabVIEW by navigating to Help >> Find Examples >> Hardware Input and Output >> Serial >> Simple Serial.  This will allow you to write a message to your Com port.  

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,849 Views)

So I am able to enable and disable the ramp/soak function; however, I am still struggling to write the ramp and soak times. I know the command string which is *W0E and *W1E for ramp and soak, respectively. My problem is writing the values since the controller uses hours:minutes as its timing system. Therefore, I think it is not as simple giving it the hexadecimal of a specific number. I am not sure if I have to give it a value and convert it to some other number and then convert it to hexadecimal. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,818 Views)

Nevermind, I figured it out. I only needed to input 2 bytes so I was accidentally adding in more digits than I needed. 

Thanks for all your help 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,804 Views)

Could you share your code for reference please?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,430 Views)

I doubt you'll get a response.  He registered on the forums 5/4/14 and his last visit was 5/9/14.  A total of 5 days and 4 messages.

I don't think he's coming back after 5 years away.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,413 Views)