LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RUN BUTTON ON FRONT PANEL

I have read many answers about how silly it is to add a RUN button on the front panel instead of having to click on the RUN arrow or using CTRL-R.

However, I have devised a pretty simple vi for use in a production line. It relies on an operator with very little knowledge of anything to place a product and click the arrow to obtain test results. Some times its an old lady and they have trouble finding the run arrow on the top.

Is it possible to "wrap" the block diagram with something tied to a RUN button on the front panel?

Appreciate any help since I am very new to labview and took me forever to create this simple vi.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,004 Views)

You want code to run... before it runs?

That's essentially what you're asking for when you ask for a run button.  You'd need the program to be running for any changes to the run button to have an effect.

Instead, why don't you look at application builder?  They can run the exe and the code will start executing immediately.  You can have a big flashy button that starts whatever acquisition you're intending.  When you do this, you're not asking for code to do the impossible.

Message 2 of 5
(3,996 Views)

I dont know your application but whenever you create exe and open any vi it will be running. 

What you can do is in background when user will click start then you can start displaying output to front panel. This is illusion that when they click then only it starts but in acutal when they click start then in background in even str it will trigger and start displaying

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,984 Views)

A deployed program should always run. Just do a simple state machine with an idle state and a state that does the important stuff. Once the task is done it will go back to the idle state. Look at the design templates that ship with LabVIEW for some ideas. Ask back here if you run into problems.

A LabVIEW run button OR a front panel equivalent is NOT something a enduser should ever need to use in a production line, because it a tool for the development environment. When was the last time you had to start and stop any other program, such as MS word or IEexplorer? Your request is just plain silly.

Still, what you are asking is possible with a little trickery.

Message 4 of 5
(3,970 Views)

@altenbach i wanted to say xcontrols too 😞

you already have so many posts 😉

anyways, hope you get an answered or kudos

@all and noone commented on how all-caps is bad form?

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,890 Views)