From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT Standalone and FPGA Access

Hello,

the question is how can i access the FPGA from my Standalone RT System?

Im trying to build a standalone rt application on my desktop RT system.

Since now im running the FPGA via "Reference" from RT.

If i try to build the Standalone Application, i get an unspecific error with error message "Data not found,...".

Error Message:

Fehler 7 bei AB_Engine_HandleLinkErrors.vi -> AB_Engine_Update_Source_from_Linker.vi
Mögliche Ursachen:
LabVIEW:  Datei nicht gefunden. Die Datei befindet sich evtl. an einem anderen Speicherort oder wurde gelöscht. Prüfen Sie mit Hilfe der Kommandozeile oder des Datei-Explorers, ob der Pfad korrekt ist.
=========================
NI-488:  GPIB-Schnittstelle existiert nicht.

Therefore I am not using any GPIB Interface and the RT VI is definetly in the right folder.

Greetings,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,984 Views)

Hi Ben,

which kind of hardware do you use?

Which "desktop RT system"? Which FPGA?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,982 Views)

Really building an RT application on an RT desktop?

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,973 Views)

And another hint:

Error code 7 is used for several possible errors. One is for missing files, another is a GPIB error code. Hence you get two possible explainations.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,957 Views)

Hello,

well, it a normal Laptop with the NI Realtime OS and i use the FPGA from a CRIO9074.

The GPIB Error is in my opinion a known software bug, it occurs everytime when something is missing, such as Data.

But as i said, the VI is definitely in the correct folder.

If i take another VI, e.g. with s simple code (Rolling Counter) the build on a standalone RT application works without any problems.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,941 Views)

Hy,

i got a little success.

I was able to build to RT Standalone applikation.

I added the Bitfile from the FPGA applikation to my desktop rt "part" via the NI project explorer.

A new problem occured:

If i deploy the created RT standalone build, my desktop RT shows an error message:

Error loading 'lvfpga_runt.dll': Missung export ' CryptAcquireContextA' from 'ADVAPI32.DLL'

Whats now the problem for my RT 😞 ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,925 Views)

Hi Ben,

I added the Bitfile from the FPGA applikation to my desktop rt "part" via the NI project explorer.

You want to say you hadn't the FPGA part in your project before? That's definitely not the way to go…

You really should discuss this problem with NI directly. They know all prerequisites to create a RTEXE.

Your use case is rather uncommon with RT on a standard PC and network access to your FPGA, so I guess not too much people will have the exact same system setup and stumble upon the same problems…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,921 Views)

Attached is my project structure:

I mean i got a FPGA that runs on my crio and transfers data via DMA FIFO to my RT Desktop PC.

Because i open a FPGA Refernce via the RT PC i have to add the bitfile to the "RT Desktop" Subfolder.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,916 Views)

Hi Ben,

I think we already discussed this topic in the German LabVIEWForum.

Between your RT desktop PC and your cRIO FPGA is not only a DMA FIFO, but also a network connection!

Usually you have the FPGA resources completely (all VIs, build settings, and so on) in your project. I guess the NI compiler tools expect all FPGA resources like that.

Did you discuss this with NI support? What do they say about your problem?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,913 Views)