LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSLinx application

We are running an app using RSLinx OPC server and DSC module to communicate with a PLC with shared variables. Everything is working great on the development system. Now the customer would like to have the code in an executeable and installer and have that installed in a 2nd "operator's" machine while keeping the 1st "developer's" system operating. I am concerned that we may have to purchase another copy of RSLinx software for the operator's PC. I was led to believe that the application builder handled all of that. Buying another copy of RSLinx would be painful. Expecially if it is not necessary.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,369 Views)

What is it that you think the application builder should handle? Buying the second license for RSLinx? Smiley Wink

I hate to say it, but recollection (I haven't worked with it in a couple of years) is that you have to have a license file for RSLinx on the machine it is running on. You can't get away with the RSLinx Lite version. I seem to remember having to "pass the license back" to a file and then install it on the new one.  As I said, it has been a while (probably closer to 45 years since I worked out all the issues on the project it was used on).

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,353 Views)

It it possilbe for you to "cheat" and just point the exe's tags at the server running on the development machine?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,344 Views)

This sounds like it might be an expensive can of worms in matters of time, money and energy. How hard will it be to move from RSLinx to NI OPC Server?

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,337 Views)