From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232 Communication with Mastech MS2203

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to visualize the data from a Mastech MS2203  in LabVIEW using RS232 serial port.

I have the initial config settings (baud rate, parity etc...) that I could get using PORTMON, but I'm still no sure what to do next.

I couldn't find the serial protocol for this device, but I have their software that does exactly what I'm trying to do.

I have attached the software display and the PORTMON data that I got while I was running the program.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do next?

Thank you!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,571 Views)

Need to get the serial protocol specification from the vendor of the Mastech MS2203 to know how to parse the hex data.

620.00000310DigitPower.exeIRP_MJ_READSerial0SUCCESSLength 22: 05 05 10 04 E0 FB 60 60 05 44 28 EB ED FD CF ED 60 00 00 00 1F

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,543 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kennycaldas

You will find your answer here: http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/MS2203Protocol.pdf

Matthew Fitzsimons

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,541 Views)

That's not exactly readable.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,528 Views)

Thank you Matthew!

With that file and a little help from Google Translate I could read the voltage in LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,492 Views)

Glad I was able to help out.  Good luck!

Matthew Fitzsimons

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,485 Views)

dear,

i also facing same problem.can you share your labview file for this instrument to me.

my email id is- ashutoshpatelm@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,054 Views)

Dear  patel1508,

I don't have the code for this multimeter anymore, sorry.

But I remeber I used the code provided in this post as a starting point for my application: 

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Cheapest-RS232-Serial-DMM-with-LabVIEW-instru...

You'll have to change some parameters to work with the mastech device, but you'll be able to have a pretty good idea on how to do it

hope that helps.

Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,002 Views)