From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROS Toolkit Trouble

I am starting to use the ROS Toolkit v1.0 with LabVIEW 2011.

The ROS Toolkit can be found here: .  I am able to follow this example and am able to connect a joystick to LabVIEW and see /cmd_vel messages in ROS, as I would expect.

However, when I try to expand on this example, I'm coming up short.

I'm trying to use the "ROS Generic Send" function, found under the ROS Toolkit palette. Unfortunately, there seems to be little explanation as to what all goes where.

Has anyone successfully used the ROS Toolkit to connect LabVIEW and ROS? If so, have you moved beyond the example linked above?

Thank you for your time.

-slow

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,013 Views)

EDIT:
Adding LabVIEW VI screen shots and ROS error message.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,997 Views)

Ok.

I had an errant '/' in my message type.

It should be 'std-msgs/Float64' and not '/std_msgs/Float64'.

Other than that... I'm still trying to figure out why my data isn't being displayed correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,990 Views)

Do you still struggle with this issue? I got an error from Labview side saying:

Error 62 occurred at TCP Read in ros_toolkit.lvlib:ROS Read.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: Serial port overrun error.
=========================
LabVIEW: The system caused the network connection to be aborted.

Do you have any idea for this error?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,932 Views)

i have same problem. if anyone have solution of this pls reply...

Tanks in advance

PRatik

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,905 Views)

Actually, I think the error came about because of the message format (the data type used to define the message type that's sent to ROS). Unfortunately, this was left undocumented by the guys at Clearpath. Don't get me wrong, those guys are pretty stand-up dudes (they fielded a few calls from me, taking time out from getting ready for NI-Week 2013) and I hope the upcomming release does well. I just look forward to a more thorough "how-to".

I've attached what should be a working sample.

This is for a 4 DOF, AX-12 Dynamixel servo powered, arm.

The kinematics (joint angles) of the dynamixel motors are "off"... but that doesn't really matter in your case as they are specific to the configuration of the arm being used.

On the ROS side of things, just make sure that you have the correct nodes running and subscribing to the proper topic (message/ data type) sent over from Labview.
Let me know if you need any further explanation. Happy to help prevent a few headaches (and *headdesk* moments).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,891 Views)