LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Quotient & Remainder' and 'Rounds toward -Infinity' functions are not performing as intended.

Please explain this behaviour, I'm expecting a TRUE result in both scenarios ('Quotient & Remainder' and 'Rounds toward -Infinity').

Why aren't equal

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,271 Views)

Hi moderator,

there are several discussion here in the forum on floating point precision - you really should search and read them…

When you don't believe you should increase the precision (umber of digits after decimal point) for your upper constant: it will show something like 34.0499…97!

Proof:

check.png

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,266 Views)

Yeah, I remember, I've already experienced it before but my memory is failing me and what I don't remember now is what is the work around...!!Smiley Sad

Edited:

Increasing precision is one way that I already figured it out, but isn't there a native function/subVI which is immune to this issue with floating-point precision

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,260 Views)

"Rounding toward nearest" instead of "Rounding down"?

To your edited question:

Nope, there is no vaccine. Rounding issues are inherent when using IEEE754 floating point numbers…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,254 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

When you don't believe you should increase the precision (umber of digits after decimal point) for your upper constant: it will show something like 34.0499…97!

Proof:

check.png

This is not the case here, as the Actual is a random generated number and Low Resolution is derived from the Actual itself (before it is transmitted, to save the bandwidth) using below method:

Problem Statement

SORRY THAT IS INCORRECT PROBLEM STATEMENT...
Perhaps I'm working too much now days..!!! I need a beer.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,242 Views)

Hi moderator,

why do you scale the "low resolution" number twice? Multiplying by 10k will never give the same as the original number 😄

And still: you CANNOT compare floats for equality without handling rounding errors properly!

Even your "measurement value" has rounding errors when displayed with just 10 digits precision…

Floats are the same when they are in the same range as is given by "machine epsilon"!

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 6 of 6
(2,237 Views)