From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Start Guide. GPIB in LabView . HW drivers. Application deployment

Solved!
Go to solution

What hw driver to install?   488.2,  VISA or both for LabView to start with GPIB . each driver is 300MB !!?

1.) Does VISA installation include 488.2 ?      2.)  What application will need for  deployment ? 

3.) How to assert deassert GPIB REN with GOTOLOCAL using VISA in LV ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(2,972 Views)
Install both. Do your development with the VISA functions. You'll be better off in the long run.

First, look for an already written driver. Use Help> Find Instrument Drivers.

Use VISA GPIB Control Ren of course.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(2,963 Views)

Thanks for quick response. I'm new to this place and LV.

It would be OK for me to install both for development but what about application deployment? I don't feel good about  two additional installations of 300MB each ??!!    Is there any  list of files to include in app setup, just ?...sorry.

I can't find viParseRsrc  function. Is there one? How to parse that stuff  FindRsrc function returns ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(2,956 Views)
The VISA runtime is much smaller. If and when the instrument connection changes to USB or ethernet, you won't have to rewrite any code. What you are referring to are C functions.

The VISA Find Resource function returns an array of strings.

Did you search for an existing driver?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(2,951 Views)

I expect  VISA concept  shouldn't depend on IDE whatever it is C or LV ?  How does your test system check available resources and aliasing insruments ?  

So far what I find  is  like in my C# code I can  OpenSession defaultRM than FindRsrs next it needs to know what my system has, so it needs to ParseRsrs from FindRsrs returns or to use FindRsrsNext .....

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(2,942 Views)
As I said, the LabVIEW function returns a string array. You are on the wrong board to be asking about C#.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(2,940 Views)

Sorry, I was not asking about C#   I am asking about LV concept .  I want to buit application in LV using my knowledge of VISA 

I installed both VISA and 488 and get this  

I installed both VISA and 488 .... however I get this :

Error -1073807202 occurred at VISA Open in GPIB-VISA.vi

LabVIEW:  (Hex 0xBFFF009E) VISA or a code library required by VISA could not be located or loaded.  This is usually due to a required driver not being installed on the system. ========================= VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF009E) A code library required by VISA could not be located or loaded.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(2,937 Views)
That usually indicates VISA is not installed. What version did you install and on what os? Does Measurement & Automation Explorer list it?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(2,933 Views)

I have Windows7. It looks like there was a conflict with Agilent drivers.  I uninstalled everything first and reinstalled NI 488 and VISA. Now I have this:

Error -1073807195 occurred at VISA Open in GPIB-VISA.vi  VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF00A5) The interface type is valid, but the specified interface number is not configured.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(2,927 Views)

Hi Mick,

Which version did you install? Also, does it show up in MAX (Measurement and Automation Explorer)?

Josh Y.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(2,902 Views)