From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Queue Reference on a DVR?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I am trying to track down a bug in my code to no avail (so far). I wanted to check if my problem is caused by a 'feature' in LabVIEW while I continue to tear (whats left of) my hair out.....

Here is what I'm doing:

• I create my 'communication queues' in my toplevel vi. These are unnamed. My toplevel vi is a queue-based state machine. I'm using OO by reference. Therefore the place where I've stored my reference is Object>DVR>Cluster>queue reference.
  • Using the toplevel.vi I kick off a user interface. I do this by using Static VI reference>SetVal to pass the object/DVR value to the UI and then >Run (wait til done false) to start the UI.
  • And here's the problem: when put an element on the toplevel state-machine queue using the UI its not received by the toplevel state machine. 
  • Here's what I've looked at to try and find out what the problem is
    • The element is placed in the queue with no errors
    • The references are valid
    • One this I did notice is that when I probed the reference hex numbers they are different - my understanding was creating a new queue reference by name would give two different references to the same queue in memory (and so they have to be closed). But in my case I only create one reference to the queue, put it in my DVR and remove it as needed.......so what are the values different?
    • I've used this same architecture already in this project but in this case I didn't put the queue references on the DVR - instead I opened new references by name whenever I communicated between modules. This worked fine......but I'd prefer not to restrucutre my code if I can avoid it!

If anyone can offer suggestions that I can check or indeed if this is a 'feature' which has come up before I'd appreciate any comments,

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,286 Views)

Hi All,

Please disregard the comments about the reference hex numbers being different - I built a very simple test program to make sure performance was correct and found that it was. In my test code both reference numbers are identical as should be expected! Its a common/garden bug causing my problem not a LabVIEW 'feature'......just gotta find the bugspray now!

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,284 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DeltaJ

Got it....I generated a second queue reference and over-wrote the original - this updated the DVR but not the state-machine queue. Rookie mistake - doh!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,280 Views)