From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding a 95 G config/log file: LabView_32_11.0_Lab.Admin_cur.txt

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

One of our lab computers running Labview was reported to be running out of storage and I was asked to figure out why. I rifled through some windows folders to find the culprit, specifically folder: c:\users\Lab.Admin\AppData\Local\Temp wherein I found a 95 G file entitled LabView_32_11.0_Lab.Admin_cur.txt I did note that the Lab.Admin is the user name and is also included in the filename so I'm assuming this is some sort of config/log file for the current user.

The file was too large for me to open and look at with any program I had available so I just renamed it, re-started Labview to verify that it would be recreated an then deleted the bloated file. The newly created file has the following inside of itt:

####
#Date: Wed, Jun 13, 2012 2:49:00 PM
#OSName: Windows 7 Professional
#OSVers: 6.1
#OSBuild: 7600
#AppName: LabVIEW
#Version: 11.0 32-bit
#AppKind: FDS
#AppModDate: 06/22/2011 18:12 GMT
#LabVIEW Base Address: 0x00400000

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this file and what might have caused it to grow to 95 G. I'm just interested in learning how to prevent this from happening again.

Cheers,

Alex

Alexander H. | Software Developer | CLAD

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,111 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alexhunt

Do you mean 95 gigabytes?  95 GB?

I believe that is a crash dump file in the event LabVIEW detects an error.  Could you have had a recent crash (perhaps multiple) where some large applications were involved?

You could use LabVIEW to open the file.  Write a small VI to open the text file, then just read a smaller number of bytes and display it in a string indicator.

I have several of these files in my temp directory based on slightly different versions of LabVIEW installed.  But they are all small at about 1 kB.

Message 2 of 3
(2,103 Views)

Yes it is, or rather was, a 95 Gb text file.

I suspect you are correct that it is a crash dump/error log file. It makes sense as this computer has been running a test station for the past year that has been reported as less than stable. I'll keep an eye on that file over the next few days to see if anything is added to it while the station is running.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Alex

Alexander H. | Software Developer | CLAD

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,090 Views)