LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query about Embedded Module for ARM Microcontrollers and mini2440

I am new to Embedded Module for ARM Microcontrollers toolbox and I would like to develope and application that run on FriendlyARM. In particular, I am looking for a software solution that will be tested on ARM mini2440  but I am not sure whether this toolbox support this device or not. My other question is if I develope a standalone application for this module do I need this toolbox to run it on another PC or just LabVIEW runtime engine is enough because I have access to LabVIEW and this toolbox but my clinet might not!

I know my questions might sound stupid but as I mentioend I am really new to Embedded Module for ARM Microcontrollers toolbox and also mini2440 and I have to develope an application for it using LabVIEW in one month.

I would greatly appreciate your help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,513 Views)

Regarding my questions, I should install LabVIEW on mini2440 with Linux OS.

I would greatly appreciate your help

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,496 Views)

The ARM Toolkit only supports the Tier 1 boards right out of the box. For other boards you would have to write first support libraries to make them usable for the LabVIEW ARM Toolkit. This is a very non-trivial task to do and has been only done a few times by non-NI people since the introduction of the ARM Toolkit several years ago. The ARM Toolkit is not based on the principle that the VIs you create are run under a LabVIEW runtime on the target, but instead the VI code is translated to C code (not very readable I may add) und then compiled by the toolchain for your target into an executable. For this to work there have to be various conditions met. First the RT Kernel (Keil RT) that the ARM Toolkit links to must have a supported version for your hardware target or you have to create it yourself (non trivial work for sure). Then the toolchain (compiler, linker, debugger) for your target needs to be integrated into the ARM Toolkit by various VI interfaces (also non-trivail work).

If you intend to run a Linux flavor on your target you are most likely out of luck here. LabVIEW runtime is no option here since it does not run on ARM CPUs, and converting the output of the ARM Toolkit in such a way that it links to the Linux (RT) OS kernel instead of the Keil RT is probaly an exercise in vain.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 3 of 10
(3,493 Views)

Many thanks Rolf for your post

What about LabVIEW mobile module or LabVIEW touch panel module. Can I use them for mini2440 with Linux

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,487 Views)

Not likely. The LabVIEW mobile Module explicitedly works on Windows Mobile 5 or so, which by now is quite outdated. I'm not sure if they plan to update it to Windows Phone 8, but considering the troubles Microsoft seems to have to get those phones to the people other than for free, I have a hunch that this might not happen.

The LabVIEW Touch Panel Module is based on a different Microsoft OS Variant, either Microsoft XP Embedded or Microsoft CE. Unless you get a fully operational version of one of these for your target you can forget it too.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,484 Views)

Thanks Ralf. what  if I I  download the BSP of the board and then install free evaluation version of Windows CE 6.0 available on the Microsoft website then generate a Windows CE image and flash it in the board!

Can I develop Windows CE applications using LabVIEW Touch Panel Module after that or it is not possible with the evaluation version ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,477 Views)

@tintin99 wrote:

Thanks Ralf. what  if I I  download the BSP of the board and then install free evaluation version of Windows CE 6.0 available on the Microsoft website then generate a Windows CE image and flash it in the board!

Can I develop Windows CE applications using LabVIEW Touch Panel Module after that or it is not possible with the evaluation version ?

I don't really know what the evaluation version would allow, nor if you can get them that easily. You should however consider that in order to run a LabVIEW Touch Panel application on a non-NI target you need to buy a LabVIEW Touch Panel runtime license for each target for I think around $500 each. Add to that the cost of a Windows CE runtime license and you are getting in a price range that you can get complete NI embedded hardware for with integrated LabVIEW support.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,462 Views)

Hi

I have just recieved the mini2440 and I could install wince6 on it. Now I would like to try to see whether I can use LabVIEW or not

now my firts question is do I need to flush somthing (like LabVIEW runtime engine ) to the target (mini 2440)

has anyone tried this?

http://www.thaieasyelec.com/Embedded-Electronics-Application/LabVIEW-Embedded-Mini2440-Micro2440-DLL...

I have also got another question but not related to LabVIEW

how can I calibrate the mini2440 screen (win ce 5 or 6)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,433 Views)

Hi,

i have a mini2440 board which runs wince and i am trying to run "http://www.thaieasyelec.com/article-wiki/embedded-electronics-application/labview-embedded-mini2440-... this program but i cant get any results as told at web page.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,012 Views)

Well I can't read that website but it seems to make use of the LabVIEW Mobile Toolkit which isn't (actively) sold by NI anymore and stopped to be maintained around LabVIEW 2011. Without that toolkit you can not get it to work like described on that page. In fact I don't think there is any supported way to get a LabVIEW application to run on that board with current versions of LabVIEW.

In addition NI requires you to buy a LabVIEW runtime license if you want to install a LabVIEW application on an embedded hardware that isn't from NI.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,003 Views)