LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quanser DC Motor Control Trainer Missing Some VI's

Hi, my name is Ansel. I am working on a project to set up an NI ELVIS with the Quanser DC Motor Control Trainer board and create a few very simple experiments demonstrating basic mechatronic functions.

I've been unable to utilize the VI's that came with the Quanser DC Motor Control Trainer board. The disc that was included must have been faulty because not a single file (not even simple html files) would open. I contacted Quanser about this and was directed to a website (http://www.meqtronics.com/public/requests/QCI_TEMP/QNETCDv1.20forLabVIEW8_5/) from which I was able to download the content of the disc. The files I downloaded seem not to be broken, however when I attempt to run one of the VI's, such as "04-QNET_DCMCT_Speed_Control," all but four of the sub-VI's necessary are found. The four missing VI's are "Intergrator.VI," "Integrator (DBL).VI," "Transfer Function.VI," "and "Transfer Function (DBL).VI." I have all the necessary components installed, as far as I know, and a search of my computer's hard drive returns no results for any of these VI's. I am running the full version of LabVIEW 8.5.

I would appreciate advice from anyone concerning this issue, but I'd also like to know if the Quanser Trainer VI's are the best way to learn how to create my own very simple VI's. All of the documentation I have found on the internet has referenced the trainer VI's that were supplied, so without them I haven't made much progress. I am only interested in a very simple open-loop system for controlling motor velocity as well as a slightly more complex closed-loop system. Is it worthwhile to get the Quanser Trainer VI's working or could I build these experiments from scratch?

Thank you for your time.

Ansel

Message Edited by Ansel on 04-29-2008 04:50 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,047 Views)

Hi Ansel,

NI ELVIS 3.0.1 does not support LabVIEW 8.5 and would likely be the reason those VIs are not being found. 

PBear
NI RF
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,016 Views)

Ansel,

Just to clarify, the version of the NI-ELVIS software that you may have is not the reason for the missing VIs in the Quanser program you downloaded.  The VIs in question are included as part of the LabVIEW PID Toolkit, which I'm assuming is not installed on your machine. However, these particular VIs (Integrator, Transfer Function, etc) are fairly out of date, and they are only included in the PID Toolkit to support legacy code.  I'm not sure if you have access to the PID Toolkit (it is also included as part of the LabVIEW Real-Time Module), but I would not suggest purchasing it just to get this Quanser code working.

If you are going to be focusing on simple open-loop control of the Quanser DC Motor, you could start by looking at some of the basic DAQmx examples.  Driving the motor at a certain velocity would just require supplying a constant voltage through a DAQ output.  If you want to do more advanced closed-loop control, the LabVIEW Control Design & Simulation Module might be worth taking a look at.  Take a look at the 3-hour Control Design & Simulation course here.  It is written specifically with the Quanser DC Motor board in mind.

Chris M.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,991 Views)

Thank you PBear and Chris for your responses, I appreciate the help. I do not have the PID Control Toolkit, as you guessed Chris, and that was what was preventing me from using the Quanser DCMC Trainer. I will try using the Control Design and Simulation Module and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Ansel

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,958 Views)

Ansel, Did you solve the problem for the missing VIs when running the NIELVIS Quanser DC motor training material?

I have the same problem I can't find transfer function (DBL).vi 

thank you 

carlos

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,479 Views)

Hi Carlos,

The Transfer Function (DBL) VI should be in the following location after installing the PID toolkit:  C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\vi.lib\addons\control\advanced\continuous linear.llb

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,442 Views)

Thank you Kristen, I installed the PID toolkit and the VIs are working now 🙂

thank you,

Carlos

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,437 Views)