From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Push-button wont activate

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all..

As a beginner with Labview i have been very happy to have these forums to help me out with a lot of issues, from other posts.

Although this time i haven't been able to find an answer, so here goes.

I am making a VI that will allow me to send SMS messages from my computer. My computer is connected to a GSM modem, and there is a subVI that controls the serial connection.

The problem i am having now is that my button to send the commands (the one that activates my case structure) wont activate. I have tried to add an LED to see if that would show anything, but it made no difference. The LED isn't turning on.

Basically what i do is that i have a textfield for the recipient number which adds "at+cmgs=+45" in front of it and the ascii value of hex 0D after it. Then a textfield for the message, where i add the ascii value of hex 1A afterwards to send.

This setup works in smaller steps, like Sms_Send3, but it is in Sms_send5 i am having issues with it.

Any ideas? 🙂

Edit: Minor typo

Edit: If i add an indicator to the largest while loop, it seems like that while loop isn't running at all ?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,727 Views)

Hi Nightstaber,

it's a problem of the DATAFLOW! You didn't obey it...

Watch your SMS5 vi in highlighting mode and you will notice your problem: the inner while loop will never stop and so (due to DATAFLOW) your case structure is never called...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 14
(2,716 Views)

Ah.. I see..

So basically what happens is that the small while-loop isn't sending data through to the Or gate, and as of that nothing else will happen?

How can i make it work? All i really want it to do is to delay my boolean by one second, then send it out.. Is there any other way i can do that?
🙂

Thanks a lot so far 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,706 Views)

Hi Nightstaber,

you may use this...

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 4 of 14
(2,702 Views)

Thanks a lot.. That did the trick 🙂

Edit: Apparently not

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,698 Views)

Actually, that didn't do the trick.. That one will keep looping, and i need only a single run..

I need to pause the signal for 1 second, then send it out again.. The one you linked will keep counting, and keep sending the value out after x amount of cycles

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(2,691 Views)

Hi Nightstaber,

you asked for "delay my boolean by one second, then send it out"...

What about putting a Wait function in your while loop? Wating for 1s?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,685 Views)

The problem is that doing it that way, will delay both my booleans...

What i need is that when i press the switch, it should send the first boolean right away, since that will trigger the AT command for sending the recipient number.. Then i need it to delay the same signal for 1 second, so that 1 second later it will activate and send the AT command for the text i want in the sms 🙂

I have done it with an Elapsed Time in another design, but using an Elapsed Time gives me some odd results as it will run when i run the VI the first time as well.

I was trying to use a case structure with a wait inside, but it seems like it will delay the entire while loop rather than just the one i need delayed.

I appreciate your help though 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,682 Views)

Hi Nightstaber.

I have made a quick example of what I think you are trying to achieve. I have used a State-machine architecture with an event structure.

In the event structure I monitor the 'Send' and 'Stop' button. When send is being pressed I go to the Send state, which sends the first part of the message. Then, I go to a wait state which waits for 1 second before proceeding to the Send state again.

Some points to consider:

* The Wait state could be improved: As of right now, the VI does not perform anything in the wait state. One could make a timer to call several times. If time is passed, then go to send, if not, then go to X state and do something else.

* The enum should be typedef.

I have NOT tested this example, since I do not have 'MercantecSMS'. However, I hope you'll find this example useful and is able to combine it with what else you want to achieve.

For more information about how to use a State-machine:

State Machines

Tutorial: State Machines

Best Regards

Alex E. Munkhaus
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
System Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,649 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nightstaber

I figured out that i could do what i wanted to do with a sequence..

It's kinda embarassing to have found out that it was something so simple.

Thanks a lot for your help though guys.. Appreciate it 🙂

Regards..

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,640 Views)