LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provide a start path (folder) in a file dialog box

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to have a file dialog box start in a specific folder without using the File Dialog express VI? (I also don't want to use a system exec).

Thanks.

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(6,776 Views)

I think you are seeking for the "browse options" of the path controls (browse button).

hope this helps,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(6,773 Views)
That would work, but I'm not using a control. The program just starts and says "name your logfile". But I want it to start in a specific location every time, even if the user navigated off of that folder the last time they used it.
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(6,767 Views)
untitled.PNG
--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 4 of 12
(6,765 Views)

Broken Arrow wrote:
[...]even if the user navigated off of that folder the last time they used it.

How does the user navigate if there is no tree or dialog at all? If you use the dialog, why are you not using the express dialog, which is infact the only dialog option left for browsing files except the path control?

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(6,754 Views)

Norbert B wrote: 

How does the user navigate if there is no tree or dialog at all? If you use the dialog, why are you not using the express dialog, which is infact the only dialog option left for browsing files except the path control?

Some VI's (Read From Spreadsheet, e.g.)  automatically open a dialog, if a path is not passed in.

Message Edited by elset191 on 09-01-2009 09:51 AM
--
Tim Elsey
Message 6 of 12
(6,749 Views)

elset191 wrote:

Norbert B wrote: 

Some VI's (Read From Spreadsheet, e.g.)  automatically open a dialog, if a path is not passed in.

Exactly. In my case I was using the Open/Create/Replace File function which does the same.

Your picture shows what I don't want to do - it uses the express VI. I guess what I'm asking is, can it be done with native functions?

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(6,740 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Broken_Arrow
If you open up the front panel to the express VI and follow the VI calls you eventually get to File Dialog.vi.  Seemingly what you're looking for.
--
Tim Elsey
Message 8 of 12
(6,727 Views)

I was refering to functions which support the desired feature. As you already encountered, the Open/Create/Replace File.vi does not support this.

The Express VI "File Dialog.vi" uses the same file dialog as used in the example "Write to Text File.vi". You can find the VI using the link in the help of Open/Create/Replace File.vi.

Please note that the context help of this File Dialog states that "LabVIEW no longer supports this function on the block diagram. National Instruments recommends you use the File Dialog Express VI instead."

I assume that this text is written due to being platform-independent. It still works under Windows, but i can think of future releases of LV not to support this feature anymore (as stated in the help).

And still, you did not answer why you don't want to use the express vi....

Norbert

Message Edited by Norbert B on 09-01-2009 10:08 AM
Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(6,721 Views)

Norbert B wrote:

And still, you did not answer why you don't want to use the express vi....

Because it's an express VI.

Digging deeper into the VI, it actually calls a function. I wonder why LabVIEW doesn't supply this function on the palette?

Richard

Message 10 of 12
(6,712 Views)