cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protection methods for NI USB 6009

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I developed one tester to measure 8 outputs ranges between 1-5 V from a power supply board. But unexpectedly the measurement device 6009 got damaged since the issues with the rectifier circuits of the UUT which caused the input  volt (230V AC) to reach the measurement  terminals.

Could anyone help me to design/introduce some protective measures between UUT and DAQ device to prevent this happening again?

It would be really helpful for me if I can fix this issue before transfer the tester for production purpose.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,792 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author leo_mattam

The USB 6009 is meant to be a bottom of the line testing solution and really isn't meant for production quality systems. Like you've found out, it doesn't have any of its own internal protection like the pricier NI products. I've used it before in production systems and I killed one just like you did (one week before delivery no-less).

My only advice is to make sure all of your grounds are connected and your system is fused, but there's not much you can do other than that. Maybe an EE on here can provide more wisdom.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,742 Views)
Thank you for your valuable suggestion.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,715 Views)

If the 600x meets the requirements for your system, there'es no issues using it in a production test fixture.

I've got dozens, if not hundreds of them here. 

Do need signal conditioning and protection outside the DAQ though.

Buffers, current-limiting resistors, bypass caps, and diodes are most of what I use. 

Message 4 of 4
(2,697 Views)