LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propagate changes to multiple screen objects/tabs?

I've got a program with a main display of 7 tabs that I'm reformatting for a different screen resolution.  Given that these controls and displays all have multiple local variables and references associated with them, I want to avoid deleting the existing ones and copypastaing new ones -- it would be a nightmare from a code standpoint.

I've attached a screenshot.  Is there any way to just copy the properties of the displayed items to the other tabs?  Link them all to a central master brain sort of thing that sets the rest of them?  I'm up against a wall with a deadline and using those black guidelines and resizing everything took me 5-6 hours for one page.  I've got 8 total.  Help, haha.

(2,956 Views)

Are all of the controls in each tab identical?  If so, you can play around with references and things.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,949 Views)

Yes, they're all the same on each tab. 

I'm a hack at this - what are references?

(2,939 Views)

Or rather - what implementation of reference would work for this application.

I can right click all those items and create a reference -- But for the life of me I'm not at a level that I know what to do with it.  It would seem it would be a 'run once' external program, right?

(2,929 Views)

Can you post the VI?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,910 Views)

Here it is.  I'm not the developer -- Just trying to modify it for certain I/O and screen size.  The code has been called atrocious by more than a few other programmers, I'm just the messenger and the guy stuck with working on it.

Once I get it all aligned, I need to figure out how to make the loops run faster than every 6 seconds.  Ouch.

(2,900 Views)

This is absolutely terrible.  I've had to adopt a strategy where EVERY TIME I save my VI, I have to make a backup copy.  Labview has frozen or hung 45 times in the last two hours, after which I get an error that the block diagram is missing and I'm unable to save.  I've lost hours of work multiple times.

8.5 wasn't like this, 13 is garbage.  I've sent over a hundred error reports today, you'd assume someone would realize what's going on.  Terrible, terrible junk program.  I resize a control, save, copy to backup.  Resize a control, save, copy to backup.  Resize, hang, corrupt program, restore from backup.  Half the time I have to go back two saves to find a workable copy.  I'm going to be here a month at this rate, and I've got a week.

(2,858 Views)

Have you contacted tech support directly about the crashes?  They can help you figure out why it keeps crashing.  Sometimes a control can get corrupt and make life miserable and they might be able to help you track it down.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,848 Views)

I just did that.  If it's a control, I'm not sure which one.  It happens regardless of which control I'm working with.

(2,814 Views)

Classic test is to copy the code to a new VI, it often clears up such issues.

I cant open the VI here, but with 1600kb it sound like some sub-vi's are in order, i mostly hear of this when the vi's gets large.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,803 Views)