LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prompt User for Input Crash on Modify

I am experiencing this error when I run your code, but not when I make my own version of the express VI. What objects on the Express Vi did you alter?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(962 Views)

I set a variable called string to type text box and added a message and added a cancel button.   I may have touched title too. 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(952 Views)

Yes,  although I am very sure we had this same issue in LabVIEW  2009 32 bit

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(951 Views)

Ok, I got to play with it a bit more.

Try these steps:

1. Drop a Prompt User expess vi

2. Name an output "String" and set its type to Text entry box  (Note the capital letter)

3. Press Ok

4. Double click the Prompt user express vi to edit

5. Press Ok without making changes  (at this point i get the error)

Message 14 of 17
(937 Views)

I repeated the steps you've outlined and have the same error.  LV 2015 32 bit on 64 bit Win10.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(934 Views)

I see it in LV 2014 SP1 as well.

Providing information on how to replicate it helps a lot.  It makes some sense that there is a problem with "String".  I don't know what the underlying Express VI configuraiton code looks like, but I can certainly believe that "String" would be a reserved name.  Probably the underlying code is using the label name as part of the property node that sets parameters for that control. If you try running a VI with that express VI after you've gotten the error on OK'ing the dialog, you'll see the dialog is messed up and is missing the text box.

If you really must have a value called "String", I see two fixes.

1.  Add a space to the end of it.  "String ".

2.  Change it to some other name.  Open the Express VI, a couple of times until OK doesn't cause an error.  (It seems like a change in name to String happens the first time the Express dialog is configured AFTER it has been named.  Open it up one more time and change it "String".  You'll be okay as long as you don't open it up the again, otherwise you'll have to repeat this step.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(928 Views)

Thank you nathanf and everyone else for bringing up this issue and testing it across multiple versions.

I have filed CAR 628247 for this issue.

Clemens | Technical Support Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(904 Views)