cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Window Size Won't Save

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

Real dumb question here but why won’t my project window view retain the size I set it to when I save the entire project?

It seems sporadic in whether it remembers the last scaled size, unless there is a specific method and I'm inadvertently doing it some of the time.

Cheers for looking

Mitch

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,401 Views)

I don't know if you have done this and are posting that this proceedure did not work... But if you have not done this, follow these steps

1. Set your vi to the size that you want on your computer

2. in the vi menu strip at the top use the file dropdown and find 'vi properties' (click that)

3. in the propertie window there is a enum box that says 'general' use the dropdown for that window and go to 'window size'

4. there are a couple of options here

a. you can enter in the size you want the window to be by inputing the width and height

b. you can click the hotbutton 'set to current panel size'

5. once you are satisfied with the size you want click the 'ok' button

6. IMPORTANT - file/save the vi by itself first

7. THEN - save your project

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,383 Views)

Hi Gearmiester,

Manny thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I don't know if I didn't explain it well enough or if you have misinterpreted what my issue was, but its not the size of a VI that im having trouble with, its the size of the project window itself. Here is what I mean:

Project Window Size.PNG

Assume the project is an active project. If I scale it from the small size to big, then save the entire project, it doesn't retain the new scaled project window size, however on other occasions it does appear to work?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mitch

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,375 Views)

huh. well I am not sure about that one as I have never ran into that problem. But then I also use .git to save all updates to a local server. sorry can't help you more with that one.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,366 Views)

Hi Gearmiester,

No worries, cheers for looking. Hopefully when everybody is back to work full time the golden nugget shal be revealed. Failing that i'll just ping a service request to NI 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,331 Views)

Hi Mitch_Peplow,

Try closing LabVIEW and head into the C: drive and go to Program Files > LabVIEW 20XX

Open the "LabVIEW.ini" file using notepad and locate the line,

"ProjectExplorer.ClassicPosition=....."

Delete the whole line, and save the file. Then reopen LabVIEW, and check whether that changes anything. Change the project window size, close LabVIEW, and reopen to check whether the size has saved or not.

Jinfone
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,257 Views)

Morning jinfone.t,

Tried your suggestion but alas to no avail. Here is what I have found.

After doing as you suggested, the initial value in the .ini file was: ProjectExplorer.ClassicPosition=36,-1834,967,-1331

I then re-sized the project window, saved and full closed LabVIEW. The .ini file then read: ProjectExplorer.ClassicPosition=36,-1834,535,-98  

However, when I re-opened the project, the window had reverted back to the initial size but the .ini file had retained the new values above. I then full closed LabVIEW again, checked the .ini file and the values had reverted back to: ProjectExplorer.ClassicPosition=36,-1834,967,-1331

Any more ideas?

Cheers

Mitch

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,228 Views)

Morning Mitch_Peplow,

My next step would be to try a reinstallation of LabVIEW, but that may not be worth the hassle.

Jinfone
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,201 Views)

Re-install vs live with it . . . I've begun to like the default size Smiley Wink

Ive got 2014 to install anyway so i'll see if that makes a difference.

Cheers for you help

Mitch

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,198 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mitch_Peplow

Morning all.

I feel like an absolute muppet admitting this but I’ve just realised where I've been going wrong and I deserve a severe whipping with a patch lead for my stupidity. That aside I feel duty bound to clear up this issue.

The reason that my project window was not saving was that . . . . . . . . I haven’t been saving the actual project!

I have always, for some reason unbeknown to me assumed that the save all function saved all open VIs that had changes made, including the project attributes itself. However, this is not the case and I've only just noticed the save project option under the file list!!! I must have scanned that list a 1000 times and never noticed it.

Now no matter what size window I set, as long as I save the project it retains the project window size.

The default window size as set in the global .ini file is for new projects that have no defined set window size. If it's a current project, there is an .lvlps file located in the same directory as the .lvproj file. The .lvlps is the project attributes and contains the project window size info.

Big thank you to James Willis at NI for your help as this made me wonder how the project attributes were saved. That's when the penny dropped. Attached is a Word doccument James sent me to help illustrate the .lvlps stuff.

Cheers all; verbal abuse more than welcome (and deserved) Smiley Happy

Mitch

Message 10 of 11
(4,027 Views)