From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmatically reordering controls visually (forward & back) on front panel

Thank you for posting that.  I wasn't familiar with that VI.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 36
(1,244 Views)

This will change the z-order of a control in a non-running VI.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 32 of 36
(1,230 Views)

The function you want to do is  in an HMI based software like Wonderware (WW) or RSView. You can simulate the same as a pop up window control as in WW or RS View by launching each control in its own VI. Then you can move the control easily and stack the controls. The last Vi to be selected will have focus and will be acted on. Use Vi sever to update the controls of each.I do this with my HMI developed from Labview. 

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 36
(1,203 Views)

Here's a way to fake it.

Make two identical meters.  Postion one directly on top of the other.  Put one at the back, one at the front.  Put the gauge between them.

Toggle the visibility of the top meter to make it look like z-order is changing.

(Note: you have to send the same data to both meters.)

See attached code.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 36
(1,196 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

This will change the z-order of a control in a non-running VI.

So much nicer! Cheers

Another option is using a tab control and have the overlapping controls on different tabs. Controls that should appear on all tabs can be created outside the tab control, then dragged onto the tab control so that they are in front of the tab control. The tab control can be set to transparent, so that it is not visible.

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 36
(845 Views)