cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmatically activate drop down selection of text ring/enum

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, 

Is it possible to active the drop down selection for a text ring or enum programmatically, as in to point to the user to selct one of the options from the control. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,408 Views)
Message 2 of 9
(5,399 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rthomas101

I modified the example found here - http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0CC5602FE23E86DA86257350004E1B6A. You'll have to manipulate the mouse position to get to a particular row, but this'll open the ring.

clip.jpg  clip.jpg

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 3 of 9
(5,376 Views)

You can create an X ctrl for that.

See example:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/attachments/ni/2170/36707/1/XComBox.zip

George Zou
Message 4 of 9
(5,364 Views)
Unless you literally want to see the mouse move you can just set the value or value with signalling property. Of am I missing something?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,345 Views)

You could make the enum flash colors if you want to draw attention. See the example attached.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,322 Views)

There currently is no scripting function for this.  When I needed to do this I did as others have mentioned already, where you record the mouse position, move it to the control, simulate a click, then move it back to where it was.  Hopefully this happens fast enough that the user doesn't notice you took control of their mouse for a few milliseconds.

Message 7 of 9
(5,290 Views)

"Unless you literally want to see the mouse move you can just set the value or value with signalling property. Of am I missing something?"

It's more how I'm trying to use it. I'm creating a multicolumn listbox with a drop down input. 

The only way it seems possible to do this, is have a normal multicolumn listbox and move/shape a ring control on top of the cell that was clicked on. This works well, but the problem is when you move the ring control to the desired location though it has focus etc. it doesn't look like a drop down input until you click it again. And I think we all know at this point that Users need things pointed out very clearly.

I was hoping for some simple solution to just drop down the options when I move the ring control on top of the cell. Turns out to be a little more long winded than I hoped - but there is a solution!

Cheers guys

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,252 Views)

I'm not sure to understand the intention behind the question, but it looks like you could use DisabledItems[] property to achieve what you want, does it? You could disable every elements except the one the user is invited to select?

2015-06-12 12_05_00-Untitled 1 Block Diagram _.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,242 Views)