LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmatically Add/Delete slider

Solved!
Go to solution

If i'd be the user of such an interface, i'd either be distracted by having a REAL HUGE slider control having so many sliders or i would curse the developer for giving me an unusable UI......

20, in words: TWENTY sliders in a single slider control is definetly way tooooooooo much!

just my 5 cents,

Norbert

PS: If only 2-3 sliders are to be shown at a time, then why not break down everything to "reuse" sliders?

PPS: It might be different if we are talking about an indicator. If so, please post a sketch of what it should look like (still 20 sliders seem to be too much)

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 23
(2,048 Views)

I aggree with you but the customer's wishes...

Yasemin Barutçu
Electrical And Electronics Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23
(2,043 Views)

Hi

Would you like to try an array of slider controls? You can increase or decrease the number of array elements to be shown on the front panel. You can set the array background to transparent so the user will not realize its an array.

Edit: I think that having 20 or more sliders could lead to confusion. May be multiple slider controls could be better than more sliders on the same control.

Do not mind if this is not what you are looking for.

Regards
Freelance_LV
TestAutomation Consultant
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 23
(2,038 Views)

Why do you want to use a slide control?  Could something else be used?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23
(2,029 Views)

Could be something else but I dont have any different ideas on my mind.

Yasemin Barutçu
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23
(2,018 Views)

@No_RegreTs wrote:

20 sliders is way too much, because it will be nearly impossible to prevent them from overlapping and potentially grab the wrong one.

What you can do is a simple picture control with the same dimension as your desired slider. You can draw boxes, lines, and numbers and redraw according to mouse actions. In fact, you can make it look exactly like you want, even like a slide with multiple sliders.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 23
(2,015 Views)

@No_RegreTs wrote:

Did I miss the description of why you want to use so many sliders?  Maybe if we understand the concept, we could provide suggestions on alternatives.. 

What's the purpose of the operator changing sliders?  What is the purpose of the GUI?

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23
(2,004 Views)

Customers wants to see 20 signal over and over, so I have to put 20 slider for each of them. For me, this number is too much, therefore I planned to reduce this number to ten.

The purpose of this gui is to see 20 different signal on top and analyze them. If one of them is shifted from x-axis, slider helps us to move it left/right.

Yasemin Barutçu
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23
(1,987 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author No_RegreTs

@No_RegreTs wrote:

The purpose of this gui is to see 20 different signal on top and analyze them. If one of them is shifted from x-axis, slider helps us to move it left/right.

Well, then use a single slide and a radiobutton control to select which one is operated on (or similar). Remember, even if you have 20 sliders, you can only operate one at a time with the mouse anyway.

This is a UI design problem and multiple siders is simply not reasonable. It is about a reasonable as replacing the stick shift in a car with six different levers, one for each gear. Don't overcomplicate things!

Message 19 of 23
(1,985 Views)

I second Altenbach's suggestion.  ... and comments..

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23
(1,970 Views)