From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process of creating a backup PC with EXE

I want to create a backup PC for a test system.  I am running from an EXE file.  What is the recommended process?  I have the EXE file, but am not sure of all the drivers that I need or the process to install them.  Can I copy the drivers from the existing system or do I have to install them on the backup PC?  Is there a specific order in which to copy/install the files?  I'm using a PXI, DMM, Serial Card for 3 different devices and GPIB for a test chamber.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,872 Views)
Whoever created the exe should have made an installer. This would have included the necessary hardware drivers. If this was not done, you'll have to manually install them. See if MAX (Measurement and Automation Explorer) is on the original pc. That will tell you what is installed. You will also need to export the hardware configuration. At the very least, the drivers you will need are DAQmx, NI-GPIB, and NI-VISA.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,865 Views)

Yeah someone dropped the ball on your setup for sure.  An instealler should be made which includes all the needed drivers, EXE, and config.  This also helps ensure that the same version of drivers are used.  Compatibility has been getting better, but why have the added risk of using something newer than the original.

I agree with the other comment.  Launch MAX (Measurement and automation Explorer) do an export of your settings, and maybe generate a report which will tell you the version of all software installed.  On your other machine do your best to install all software that is in the report with the same version or newer.

Another option that has worked in the past is to just clone the PC hard drive.  This usually works best when the two PCs have identical, or similar hardware, and you don't mind having the same OS and other config settings.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,849 Views)

Are NI-DMM and NI-DMM part of NI-DAQmx if I install it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,835 Views)

NI MAX is on the original PC and have generated a report (attached).  Should I install DAQmx, NI-GPIB, NI-VISA and them compare reports?  What about NI-Serial, NI-Switch, NI-DMM, etc. or are those loaded as part of DAQmx? 

When you say export the hardware configuration, does that mean that within MAX I export configuration data for particular products in the list and then import them onto the new PC using MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,833 Views)
DAQmx is a separate driver and does not include any of the separate ones that you see listed. You have quite a long list. Don't forget all of the IVI drivers as well.

In MAX, you export the configuration for specific devices, not drivers.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,827 Views)

Dennis mentioned already that you should use the File/Export function in MAX to backup your DAQmx tasks and other driver settings. I usually use the .ini file format for export, because it is human readable. It is easier to see what is actually included in the file.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,822 Views)

Thanks for everyone's assistance.  I'm in the process now of loading the rest of the drivers and will verify that they are installed and that the devices exist and are communicating via MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,767 Views)