From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Tick Configuration on the x-axis in an XY graph

I have set up an XY graph in LabView 2012. The plot area is 1000x750. The x range min is -15. x range max is 15. y range min is -20. y range max is 20. The x and y range increments are 1. The x and y range minor increments are 0.2. The x range start is -14.

When I run the vi the graph comes up in the proper size. The minor grid lines for both the x and y ranges are there at every 0.2 units. The major grid lines are correct for the y scale at every 1 unit. The x scale has a major grid lines at -14 and 14, but in between the major grid lines are at -12, -10, -8, -6 ,-4, -2, 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12. This is incorrect. I expect to see them for every 1 unit as they are on the y scale.

I have change the x range start to -15 keeping all other properties the same. When I do this the major grid lines on the x scale are at -13, -11, -9, -7, -5, -3, -1, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13. Again every 2 units.

I have tried changing the width of the graph along with many of the other properties. Nothing has worked.

Why is this happening? Why does the y scale set up properly but the x scale does not?

I have attached a screenshot of the property node.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards-

john

John O'C
Staff Test Systems Engineer
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...
Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,098 Views)

Hi Johnoc,

This behavior is because there is not enough space on the axis to display that increment. In this case you need to increase the width.

Take a look at the next KB ->

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/200DF405B3CEB886862575C500735696

Regards,

Minor Coto

Applications Engineer

National Intruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,072 Views)

Thank you Minor!

I tried expanding the width of the graph. Even to the point that it was the same width as it was tall. The ticks did not change. They are still being displayed the same as they were. I have tried several widths and no change. This is a big problem as this graph is being used to replace an analog XY plotter so the ratio and the tick marks are very important as they are used by our machinists to calculate the amount of material to remove as they precision grind parts.

Regards-

John

John O'C
Staff Test Systems Engineer
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...
Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,062 Views)

Hi John

Can you submit your VI? Or at least a copy with the XY Graph and the property node.

Regards

Minor Coto

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,044 Views)

Two things to try:

• Use a smaller font for the X-axis.
  • Change the display format.

johnoc wrote:

I tried expanding the width of the graph. Even to the point that it was the same width as it was tall.

A vertical axis needs much less space for a tick than a horizontal axis, so that's expected. We really need to see a simplified version of your actual VI (delete everything except the graph and the property nodes).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,039 Views)

Hi John,

Is there any update about the issue? Did you try the recommendations from Altenback?

I can see in the first screenshot that you are passing the reference to a strict property node and that it is inside of a for loop, maybe because you are trying to do the same process for many XY Graphs Indicators in a Sub-VI ( ??? ). If it is the scenario, could you try to use the Implicit Property Node instead of the Strict? Also, remember to disable the “Autosize Plot Legend” option for the XY Graph.

Please let me know the results. If you are able to submit the part of the requested code, that will be useful.

Regards,

Minor Coto

Applications Engineer

National Intruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,002 Views)