LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems to use serial port of the controller.

Hello, my name is Jorge Gomez, my lab recently purchased a new Chassis with a PXIe-8861 controller for our applications. Currently, we're working on communicating the controller with other measurement types of equipment, some of them use an RS-232 interface. We tried to connect one equipment to the controller through the default RS-232 however, the port is not sending any signal to the equipment. We checked the NI MAX and it shows up that VISA can't recognize the port and therefore I cannot use it.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Best Regards

Jorge Gomez

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,648 Views)

Can you show us a screen shot of MAX and any error messages?

If you have VISA, then you should be able to see any serial ports in your chassis unless there is some other driver problem.  It doesn't matter what the device is on the other side, NI-MAX won't recognize what device is connected to the port, just that there is an RS-232 serial port.  RS-232 is rather "dumb" that way.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,642 Views)

Hi Jorge, 

Is it configured as a real time controller or windows?

If windows, are there any com ports listed in device manager?

0xDEAD

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,640 Views)

Hi, thank you so much for replying to my question. I checked the device manager and it shows that COM1 is available, however VISA doesn't recognize the port and it cannot open a session with the port. Please see the photos attached.  Also, the controller is configured as Windows.

Cheers

Jorge 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,606 Views)

Hi, thanks for your reply. Please find attached some screenshots of what NI MAX, Labview and the Device Manager is showing regarding the port.

Cheers

Jorge

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,603 Views)

You didn't need to post twice with the same pictures.  One message is fine.  Smiley Wink

Something is very odd there.  Device manager says you have 1 serial port com1.  NI MAX says you have a parallel port listed as ASRL10 (which I think was the name given to LPT1).  I think that is why you are getting errors with the VISA functions because MAX/LabVIEW thinks it is a parallel port.

Someway or another that port needs to be deleted in MAX and recreated.  But I'm not sure you can do that.

I'd try deleting the serial port in device manager, and then go find devices.

What kind of serial port is this?  Is it a USB adapter?

I can see the problem, I'm just not sure how to fix it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,600 Views)

Hi, the serial port I want to use is the RS-232 port of the connected to the controller.Please find attached a photo of the port.

Cheers

Jorge

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,597 Views)

See if you can go into Windows Device Manager and give the serial port another identifier such as Com2.  Then see what that looks like in MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,594 Views)

Can you show the installed software from MAX?

Is PXI platform services installed? Which version?

0xDEAD

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,578 Views)