From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems calling VIs remotely with RT-engine

I have problems when I call VIs remotely and I create executables to run with the Run Time Engine 7.0.
My program consists of a server that show some data (to the user) calling a VI that store such data. Another independent part of the program call such VI (which store the data) by remotely calling it with the VI Server. If I run the 2 programs under Labview 7.0 (directly installed) all goes well, but when I create the 2 executables and I run them, the data appeare only in the server. In the client I don't see any data even if I have no error detected.
In the past I used the same methodology with Labview 5.1 in some application and I never had such problem.

Could someone help me ?

Thanks in advance.

Linus
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,354 Views)
I am not quite sure I see the configuration you have setup.
First make sure you have set all the properties correctly for using VI Server in the RT Target and the Local Host.
Check for your file paths if you are using any.
Can you post a simple example that would allow me to reproduce the problem?
Regards,

AlessioD
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,354 Views)
I send you (as attachment) a llb with 3 VIs (Labview 7.0) : a server VI that call directly the message VI, and a client VI that call the message VI indirectly.
I have compiled the server VI into an exe program (using the option that create the data.llb file).
After installing that program (in the directory C:\programmi\Test\ ) and running it (with the Run Time Engine), if now I run the client VI (in the same machine) the value of the message displayed by the panel is not the same of the server.
If I also compile the client VI into an exe program and then I run it (with the Run Time Engine), I obtain the same result (different values displayed).
Only if I run the server VI and the client VI directly under Labview (in the same machine) the two VIs
display the same message.
If I also run the compiled exe version of the server VI and the client VI in two different machines I obtain the same message displayed.

Best regads,

Linus
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,354 Views)
Linus,

the problem you are seeing is due to how the VI Server technology is meant to work. Since it is based on TCP/IP protocol there are some conditions that have to be met in order for your Server/Client Executables to work on the same machine.
Read more on this subject in the following document

Why Do 2 LabVIEW VIs Stop....

Regards
AlessioD
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,354 Views)