From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with the logging deadband setting

Hi,

I'm working on a project where I'm monitoring several variables from a production line using the DSC module, and logging those variables to the Citadel database. I'm monitoring variables like the products weight and temperature. The temperature values can vary from 20-150 ºC and the weight from 0-2000 Kg.

I tried to use the read traces VI to view the trend of some traces. In the begining I had some memory problems that I fixed seting the interpolation, on read traces VI options, to 5 seconds intervals, but now it takes to long to retrieve data from the database (arround 15-20s) and when that read traces is executing it stops the main VI.

I tought that the problem must be because of the large amount of data on the database, so I tried to set de deadband settings of each variable to a more reasonable value. But it isn't working as I expected. I made a simple VI to test and try to understand the functioning of the logging deadband setting. I set the deadband value to 0,1 but it's still registering on the Citadel database variations of 0.001 on the value of the variable. I attached a screenshot of the VI and of the trace view on the citadel database.

Am I using the deadband property incorrectly? I want to register data on the database only when the temperature varies 0,5 ºC and the weight varies 1 Kg. Any suggestions?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,158 Views)

Finally I found a solution.

I wasn't understanding correctly how the deadband property works. I didn't know that I had to enable scaling on the shared variables properties and define min and max values to that scales, this values define an interval of accepted values for each shared variable.  And I simplified my code using the cofigure logging VI to specify when I want to enable or disable datalogging and to indicate the variable's resolution and deadband.

The information I initially found about the logging properties was a bit confusing, but this page explains how the deadband property works if someone is having a problem understanding it: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371618H-01/lvdscconcepts/settag_deadbands/

I attached a printscreen of my test VI were I use configure logging VI and a printscreen of my variable's properties .

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,092 Views)