From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with niFgen Get Session Reference

Hello,

I bought a niFgen 5412 arbitrary function generator card. I installed everything as explained in the manual and the card works also fine with the shipped Fgen softfront panel.
But even the labview niFgen examples do not work there is a problem with the "niFgen close.vi"  and inside with the  "niFgen Get Session Reference.vi". The there is an error with the register seaaion icon it says: "register session: invalid refnum class" and as explanation: "The refnum class that is being passed into this node is not fully defined.  This is because the refnum is defined using external files, and one or more of these files are missing."

What can I do?

Thanks and best regards,

Lutz
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,829 Views)

Hi Lutz,

It is good to hear that the FGEN Soft Front panel is working, as this means the drivers and 5412 are properly installed and working. Is there a specific example program you are using which gives these errors? When do the errors occur? (I’m assuming immediately when the program starts – correct?) I would also like to ask for you to post screenshots of these errors, as this will allow me to see the error in its entirety, including error numbers.

Do you have a PCI or PXI 5412? If PXI, are you using MXI or have an embedded controller? If you have any other FGENs to test with (5412 or otherwise), and do they give the same results?

David L.
Systems Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,816 Views)

Hello,

I would have liked to be able to see the resolution of the issue (perhaps it became obvious) - I'm experiencing the exact same problem. I have a VI that works fine on one computer (if it is relevant, running Labview 8.5) and when I copy the VI to another computer (with Labview 8.6) and install the NI-FGEN drivers there, I get the error when I first load the VI. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

- Joe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,560 Views)

I encountered the same problem as you.

Does anybody know how to fixed it ???

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,314 Views)

Did anyone figure out what the issue was?  I am encountering the same problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,254 Views)

Anyone?  

Or should is this post too old?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,171 Views)

Bump

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,128 Views)
I have the same problem with VI GetSessionReference.vi (LV & TS 2012SP1). Regardless I connect an IVIFgen class or NiFgen class on the " class type" input of this VI, I have an error (under LV and under TS with LV environement and in LVruntime). Through the session mgr I would like to get an IVI session defined in MAX based on NI-IVIFgen driver. After I would like to retrieve this session and use it with NIFgen VI (instead IVI Fgen).... without sucess. When I use IO trace to check exchange with my hardware (5112), I see that the initialisation is made with IVIFgen Class but NIFgen VIs wait for an NiFgen class session. If I have a solution to cast IVIFgen class to NiFgen class , I think the problem will be resolved ... but today I don't find thid solution.... I try with NiDMM and I have the same problem (NIDMM class and IVIDmm class) Xavier Test Architect ALSTOM
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,915 Views)